Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Play.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tosh

Display Name: Tosh
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, they claim to have shipped it now.
matthew dunderdale

Display Name: matthew dunderdale
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with regard the audio book of "brightonomicon" i ordered my copy from amazon on monday, it arrived in the post this morning... as i type this, its sat next to my computer at home, waiting to be ripped into i-tunes, and then onto my i-pod, as i can't be arsed carting the CD's and a bulky CD player round with me... thank the god of MP3/4 players!!

red dwarf series 6, "legion"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
hokusbloke

Display Name: Sir Neil Gardner
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh, I'm interested in knowing if iTunes ripped it and gave it the right chapter titles as i spent ages on CDDB listing every one of the 130 chapters!

n Smile

Boxset 17.99
Download 15.99
matthew dunderdale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hokusbloke wrote:
oooh, I'm interested in knowing if iTunes ripped it and gave it the right chapter titles as i spent ages on CDDB listing every one of the 130 chapters!

n Smile

i have no internet connection in my flat so they will get the titles i designate "episode 1 part 3" for example

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
guy

Display Name: Guy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray, mine arrived this morning from play.com and I now realise why they took so long to send it out.

Clearly the boxes had to be taken to a secret location somewhere to be crushed before being sent on to the lucky punters.

I withdrew my copy from the carefully padded jiffy bag to notice the obvious mark of an axe blow to the box, opening the box resulted in a coruscating shower of tiny pieces of plastic as one of the CD cases gracefully disintegrated before my eyes, the gentle tinkling of the pieces on my dining room table a counterpoint to the rhythmic shouts of "Bastards".

Sending it back for a replacement is likely to sap my will to live. I'm going to have to find a replacement CD case. No doubt there will be a problem with the only replacements being in metric sizes and the original being imperial or something like that.

Since I will be listening to it on my mp3 player anyway, perhaps the solution is to rip the CDs and send the box back for a replacement. At least that way I can listen to it whilst I'm waiting.

I need to ponder this some more.

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with your idea of ripping them all to MP3 as soon as, then send the CDs back for a replacement. That way you can listen to it now, and it doesn't matter how long Play take to arrange a new box....

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
hokusbloke

Display Name: Sir Neil Gardner
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good lord....I really don't know what is going on with Play...I will call them and point out the obvious problem and see if they can ship it in a different way.

Boxset 17.99
Download 15.99
robertrankin

SproutMaster

Display Name: Robert Rankin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will someone please send Mr Gardner some recreational drugs, I don't know how else he is going to survive all this stress.
Hang in there Neil, we are all behind you.
guy

Display Name: Guy
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly worth suggesting to play that they use slightly heavier duty packing. The jiffy bag they used really isn't up to protecting an item that isn't flat.

I'm continually astounded by the packing choices made by online retailers. Last week I ordered a small stainless steel cheese slice from Amazon (look it was the slice made from stainless steel, not the cheese). This item was solid metal and about six inches long, capable of withstanding rough handling even beyond that provided by people such as the ever careful temporary staff employed by the Royal Mail over christmas. It arrived in a cardboard box measuring 18 inches by 13 inches by 6 inches wrapped in enough bubble wrap to protect it from the direct impact of an American spy satellite falling out of orbit.

Fortunately the Brightonomicon CDs survived the post office's attempt to turn them into the components of an interesting set of wind chimes and only the box and one of the two plastic cases were damaged. I've now lovingly ripped the CDs at an outrageously high bit rate and can wait whilst the originals are replaced. Sadly I've started to listen to them. This means I'll be unable to leave the house for some time which is one of the two things that will make returning the originals difficult. The other is that in order to improve customer service all post offices within a 500 mile radius have been closed. I understand my nearest post office is in Latvia.

I have to say I'm very impressed by what I've heard so far. Congratulations to everyone.

robertrankin wrote:
Hang in there Neil, we are all behind you.

Isn't that going to make Neil rather paranoid?

matthew dunderdale

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to quote myself from yesterday....

matthew dunderdale wrote:

i have no internet connection in my flat so they will get the titles i designate "episode 1 part 3" for example

yep, they all got the titles episode 1 part 1, etc right up to episode 13 part 10, the interviews and podcasts got appropriate titles... while each of the 3 extras got a slightly longer title

matthew dunderdale

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 sets of changes of "disc" to Disc" and the removal of the interviews from the play list with the whole series in it... the re-sync took 10 minutes!!

tosh

Display Name: Tosh
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah
parcel from play arrived and nary a cracked case to be seen Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: