Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
White Dog Poo (and things)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfgang Carrotcake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: White Dog Poo (and things) Reply with quote

To quote from The Da-Da-De-Da-Da Code…

“…those were the good old days. When we had values. When dogshit came in white as well as brown, and cigarettes came in hundreds of colours and hues, and all of them were good for you. And only sportsmen wore sportswear.”

(about half way down page 214, for those of you who care about such things)

Weren’t they indeed!

I read somewhere recently that the reason we don’t see so much white dog poo is that we don’t give our canine fellows proper bones to chew on. Which kind of makes sense (re the calcium therein and so on and so forth). I was wondering, however, if anyone has any, shall we say, more *interesting* theories? (or indeed any other comments pertaining to the above quote)

I await the immense spilling forth of sprout-like wisdom (or something)…

Wolfgang

Sean Liberal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your theory regarding the lack of white dog poo sounds quite reasonable. I recall from those halcyon or is it halogen days of my yoof that when it come to sticking lolly sticks in dog doings ( didn't we all in the 70's ?? ) the white stuff was prone to cumble whilst the brown/black leavings were pretty viscous. Mind you it was easier to pick up the white "eggs" and throw them at ya pals.
Also the white (or pure) was used in leather preparations and was worth money. Maybe it is still used today and explains the lack on our streets.

Wolfgang Carrotcake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Liberal wrote:
Your theory...etc

Thank you for your interesting comments, Mr Liberal.

Perhaps, it may be suggested, the "crumblier, flakier" (as per the famous sexually suggestive chocolate bar) poo of pale aspect is presently used as an "environmentally friendly" alternative to chalk, as per that used by teachers and their ilk...??

talie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of linked, did anyone else use dried cow pats as fribees?
Wolfgang Carrotcake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talie wrote:

Most probably... but not I.

The Reverend

Display Name: Oh christ
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's interesting:

(Lifted from http://oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/forum_topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6239&FORUM_ID=99&CAT_ID=3&Forum_Title=Rare+Text+%28Book+Transcriptions%29&Topic_Title=Finder+of+the+Pure&whichpage=1&tmp=1#pid29658)

OF THE “PURE” FINDERS

Dogs’ – dung is called ‘pure’ from its cleansing and purifying properties.

The name of “pure finders” however has been applied to the men engaged in collecting dogs’-dung from the public streets only within the last twenty or thirty years. Previous to this period there appears to have been no men engaged in the business, old women alone gathered the substance, and they were known by the name of “bunters,” which signifies properly the gatherers of rags; and thus plainly intimates that the rag gatherers originally added the collecting of ‘pure’ to their original and proper vocation. Hence it appears that the bone grubbers, rag gatherers and pure finders, constituted formerly but one class of people, and even now they have, as I have stated, kindred characteristics.

The pure finders meet with a ready market for all the dogs’- dung they are able to collect, at the numerous tanyards in Bermondsey, where they sell it by the stable bucket full, and get from 8d. to 10d. per bucket, and sometimes from 1s. to 1s.2d. for it, according to its quality. The dry ‘limy –looking ‘sort fetches the highest price at some yards as it is found to possess more of the alkaline or purifying properties; but others are found to prefer the dark moist quality. Strange as it may appear, the preference for a particular kind has suggested to the finders of Pure the idea of adulterating it to a very considerable extent; this is effected by means of mortar broken away from old walls, and mixed up with the whole mass, which it closely resembles; in some cases however the mortar is rolled into small balls similar to those found. Hence it would appear, that there is no business or trade, however insignificant or contemptible, without its own peculiar and appropriate tricks.

The pure-finders are in their habits and mode of proceeding nearly similar to the bone-grubbers. Many of the pure-finders are however, in better circumstances, the men especially, as they earn more money. They are also to a certain extent, a better educated class. Some of the regular collectors of the substance have been mechanics and other small tradesmen, who have been reduced. Those pure-finders who have a ‘good connection’ and have been granted permission to cleanse some kennels, obtain a very fair living at the business, earning from 10s. to 15s. a week. These however are very few; the majority have to seek the article in the streets, and by such means they can obtain only from 6s. To 10s. A week. The average weekly earnings of this class are thought to be about 7s. 6d.

From all the enquiries I have made on this subject, I have found that there cannot be less than 200 to 300 persons constantly engaged solely in this business. There are about 30 tanyards large and small in Bermondsey, and these all have their regular pure collectors from whom they obtain the article. At Messrs Leomont and Roberts there are 23 regular street finders who supply them with pure. This company do more business in the branch of tanning in which the article is principally used, viz., in dressing the leather for book- covers, kid-gloves, and a variety of articles. Besides these, it may be said that the numbers of the starving and destitute Irish have taken to picking up the material, but not knowing where to sell it, or how to dispose of it, they part with it for 2d. Or 3d. a pail full to regular purveyors if it to the tanyards who of course make a considerable profit by the transaction. The children of the poor Irish are usually employed in this manner, but they also pick up rags and bones, and anything else which may fall in their way.

I have stated that some of the pure-finders, especially the men. Earn a considerable sum of money per week; their gains sometimes as much as 15s.; indeed I am assured that seven years ago when they got from 3s. to 4s. per pail for the pure, that many of them would not exchange their position with that of the best paid mechanic in London. Now however the case is altered, for there are twenty now at the business for every one who followed it then; hence each collects so much less for the article. Some of the collectors at present do not earn 3s. a week, but these are mostly old women who are feeble and unable to get over the ground quickly; others make 5s. to 6s. in the course of the week, while the most active and those who clean the kennels of the dog fanciers mat occasionally make 9s. and 10s. and even 15s. a week still, but this is a very rare occurrence. The kennel pure is not much valued, indeed many of the tanners will not even buy it, the reason is that the dogs of the ‘fanciers’ are fed on almost anything, to save expense; the kennel cleaners consequently take the precaution of mixing it with what is found in the street, previous to offering it for sale.

The pure-finder may at once be distinguished from the bone-grubber and rag-gatherer; the latter as I have before mentioned, carries a bag, and usually a stick armed with a spike, while he is most frequently to be met with in back streets, narrow lanes, yards, and other places, where dust and other rubbish are likely to be thrown out from the adjacent houses. The pure-finder, on the contrary is often found in the open streets as dogs wander where they like. The pure-finders always carry a handle basket, generally with a cover, to hide the contents, and have their right hand covered with a black leather glove; many of them however dispense with the glove, as they say it is much easier to wash their hands than to keep the glove fit for use. Thus equipped, they may be seen pursuing their avocation in almost every street in and about London, excepting such streets as are now cleansed by the ‘street orderlies’ of whom the pure-finders grievously complains being an unwarrantable interference in the privileges of their class.

Wolfgang Carrotcake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, what happened to the Pure Finders of Yore...?? Rolling Eyes
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfgang Carrotcake wrote:
I would not bother about them,they turned out to be a load of wee shite's. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Wolfgang Carrotcake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Bob wrote:
Wolfgang Carrotcake wrote:
I would not bother about them,they turned out to be a load of wee shite's. Rolling Eyes Laughing

D'oh... Confused

Wink

Opalfruit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Malmo, Sweden a few weeks ago and went for a strole past the twisted tower and towards the beach and lo near the doggy playground there was a grass area littered with white dog poo... I guess you must travel to see such sights now.
neville

Display Name: mick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talie wrote:

ah...them where the days.....lol

Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neville wrote:
talie wrote:

But the worst one's were when you picked up a dry looking one and it was a wet one on the other side. Shocked & Confused Sad
talie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Bob wrote:
neville wrote:
talie wrote:

But the worst one's were when you picked up a dry looking one and it was a wet one on the other side. Shocked & Confused Sad

Now those were the lad worth chucking at someone, they dribbled as they flew and left a nice shitty mark on your target (usually my wee sister)

the laundry moose

Display Name: STEPHEN TENWICK
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ideal weekend finding-stuff-wise. On mowing the grass in our garden I happened upon some of the fabled 'White Shite', and then later when clearing out the shed what do I find?
Only some two by one!
Thumbs Up

Boggwoppit

Club Member

Display Name: Hugh Morris
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remind me never to shake hands with either of you shite throwers ever again. There isn't an appropriate emoticon for this but Eeeeeyuck yak. Bad boys, Dirty Boys in your beds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: