Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Abject Derby Apology...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
(signed off forever)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Abject Derby Apology... Reply with quote

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear... I've just had a look at my message thingy, and it seems that, due to a hastily-typed and poorly-phrased reply to the query "why weren't you at Derby?", I've managed to suggest that the second Large Event was rubbish, thereby upsetting the people who put in a lot of work to make these things happen, and are, incidentally, jolly nice blokes. This was not my intention at all, and I apologise unreservedly for any offence caused.

What I should have made absolutely clear is that I did not attend Large 3 because, for entirely subjective reasons, I personally didn't enjoy Large 2, which is not a criticism of anybody. Indeed, one reason why I didn't enjoy it is that there are few things in life more depressing than finding oneself in a room full of people having a lot more fun than you are, and clearly any event at which a good time was had by the vast majority is by most definitions a roaring success.

The other reason that I didn't have as much fun as I might have is that, unlike most Sproutlaureates, I am a relative newcomer with no close friends in the society, and I don't do the yearly sci-fi convention circuit. Many of you have been attending dozens of conventions together since the '90s, including conventions about nothing at all because you just can't get enough conventions! This means that a Sproutlore event which consists mainly of opportunities to catch up with each other for hours on end is splendid fun for nearly all of you, but unfortunately I will automatically be the first person in the room to run out of things to say, and much of the conversation will be totally incomprehensible to me. I shouldn't attend do's of this type, and won't do so again. This is not a criticism of such events, any more than it is a criticism of ballet to say that football fans generally don't enjoy it.

Anyway, sorry lads! "Mea maxima culpa" and all that...

(What a silly Count.)
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... maybe saying you will not come to another is rather a silly thing to say now, as at the next meet you WILL have things to say to people and will know us all rather better and have things to catch up on???

Or is my logic skewed?

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And where else will people learn about dinosaur westerns if not from you?

By turning up you get to make the friends to catch up with, plus after a stint on forum you'll get to know all of us lot (whether you like it or not) and so on.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - I think I got to know pretty much everyone on the forum before ever actually meeting them. The only exception that springs to mind would be Stacey and Kelly, who Siobhan and I met at a book signing in Newcastle and persuaded to join the forum fun.

My first Sproutlore meet was with about 7 or 8 people in Glasgow - heck of a way to go to have a few beers with a bunch of people I'd never met, but that's just the way we seem to do things. I should point out that by the end of the night Darren and I were doing bizarre things with pool cues and vacuum cleaners in a grotty hostel.... Ahhh happy days!

That was a mere 3 years ago, and I've made more new friends since than I thought possible.

I think what this all comes down is - you have to just jump in with 2 feet. If you join in, you're a friend for life!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reply to that in the only appropriate way Thumbs Up
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before EnLarged I hadn't met anyone, except Talie, in the flesh. I do remember there was one moment on Saturday night as I sat in the bar when I thought, "This is going to be horrible. I'll be sat in the corner all night alone while the people who know each other better chat with each other. Why did I ever think that this would be any different than the large parties I always hate?" Then the rest of the vikings showed up from the hotel and I had a great time.

I promise that if you show up again and I'm actually over from America I will bring you special junk food and pay attention to you all evening so you don't get lonely. Can't say fairer than that, can I?

Captain Fantastic

Club Member
Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, like many here, I completely understand where you are coming from Otto. But, also, like many here, I am not an avid everything attender (with the exception of sproutlore) - there is, afterall, a seperating line between geek and nerd Laughing
My first sproutlore was a , oh look at all these people I don't know, sit in the corner event. My second was a , thank god a familiar face, lets have a beer and a chat affair and now most of them are a, who's that new bozo / person I don't know in the corner let's go and buy them a beer and have a chat sort of affair (not including the, oh look , all those great people I do know - let's get smashed).
Then again I do remember siting in the Alexandra's (small but adequate) beer garden and enjoying a pint with you at Large 2, maybe that's what scared you off number 3 Laughing

http://web.mac.com/icase Photos from events.
www.zombiecon.co.uk
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Enlarged is the only fan event of any kind I have attended as a participant. Back when I was a vampirologist I went to two vampire-related events, but that was work. I don't think I'm ready for a convention yet, but I will definitely attend a Sproutlore event again when I can afford another trip over.
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first anything like this was Large (thee firste). I had only been on phorum for a short time beforehand and it was rather nervewracking. Well, it would have been if I had embarrassment glands, but I had them removed when I started teaching!
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Otto,

I organise the Large events, so don't worry bout the "apologise unreservedly for any offence caused" as non was caused Smile

I and others did wonder why you weren't there on the day of Enlarged Question

Shame to hear your not planning to come along again to next years (or any other events) though Crying or Very sad

Did you enjoy the 1st Large & your time at Brentcon1 at all?

Hope you change your mind on the "no further attendance" front (but don't worry, I won't be offended if you don't Wink )

Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he hangs about around here he will be inexplicably drawn to the next something or another.... Wink
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's spot on, just jump in with two feet is what I say, I'm really young compared to everyone else but each event is still a joy because I helped make it so
deackie

Club Member
Display Name: Sarah
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto, please come over and join us all at the next event. Most of us haven't been doing the con circuit for years, most of us don't do events other than Sproutlore, and each of us started out by not knowing anyone else. At each event we all make more friends. We try not to be cliquey, we try to include anyone new, and we'll even introduce you to the fine art of lolling. An activity I'm sure could/should be included as part of the regular worship activity for our new religion.
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impression at EnLarged, and I could well be wrong about this, was that all the long-time con attending types ended up in one room and all the Sproutlore only, forum posting types ended up in another. Was that just me, or did it really pan out that way?
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forum did take over one particular corner, but there was some crossover between rooms of people, and the front section of the forum bar had some sort of people in that weren't specifically ours.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: