Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Let's Start a Religion!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
(signed off forever)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Let's Start a Religion! Reply with quote

This topic began on the Odinist thread, but I think it needs its own heading. Apparently, leaving aside myths about putting "Jedi" on census forms, all we really need to be an official religion are charitable status and a designated place of worship. Does anybody know the exact definition of a "place of worship"? Presumably size doesn't matter, so could it be the cupboard under the stairs? Or if it has to be an entire building, would a garden shed do? Anyway, once somebody finds the official guidelines, we need somebody who lives fairly centrally to volunteer an appropriate space and hold the required services (presumably you don't need to get people in there singing hymns every Sunday - would a piss-up once a year do?) and we can launch the Sacred Order of the Golden Sprout!

As for charitable status, many organisations which are by no stretch of the imagination primarily devoted to charity work - most of the major ghost and UFO societies, for example - are registered charities. Presumably the main thing is not to make a profit, and to make at least a token attempt to do good for the world. Well, obviously the Sacred Order of the Golden Sprout would regard allotments as holy ground, so any charity dedicated to preserving them, providing them to mental patients by way of therapy, etc. would be a legitimate recipient for excess funds. And think of this: if we were a registered charity raising money for endangered allotments, it would be the perfect excuse to hold the first ever official allotment golf tournament!

And people are suckers for daft fake religions - it would be a superb way to spread knowledge of the Good Books (note that, unlike most made-up belief systems, we don't even have to write our own Bible), especially once the first wedding took place. Obviously Robert would be officially designated the Prophet, Barry the Earthly Manifestation of the Godhead, and so on - Count Dante could occupy a similar position to the Archangel Michael as Defender of the Faith (actually he's been dead for some time, but there's a new one who has some kind of rock band in the USA - check out his website, which I daresay you can find; I bet he'd go for a free canonisation and write a song about us).

Besides, I've always wanted to start my own religion - look what it did for L. Ron Hubbard! Not that I'd be immodest enough to proclaim myself to be the Messiah, of course. Well, I would, but unfortunately I'm not green, leafy, and one inch in diameter. So I'll be quite content with a slightly lesser position in the pantheon. After all, every religion needs an official bad guy to blame for everything - therefore I hereby nominate myself for the position of Antipope.

This is a perfectly serious suggestion: comments?
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that you are just a very naughty boy, but instead I'll say can I be an apostle? I'll write one of the chapters for the Holy Book and everything! I even promise to perform a miracle now and two later (after I'm dead) just like the real catholic saints!!!

And why do we not have smileys with a halo???

Exclamation this will have to do.

theladyinthestrawhat

Display Name: amy amy amy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good thing to write on my cv being of no fixed religion.
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to found and house the American branch, just as soon as I find out what is required to become a religion over here.
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it turns out it's easier over there than here. As long as you don't want to be catholic I hear!!

Laughing

Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, have the leftover crucifix and rosaries to prove it packed away somewhere.
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heeheehehe!!!!

I just go on relic hunting (careful now!) trips around europe looking for ever more extreme claims by the Cathollic Church. This year we went to see JC's foreskin Eek in one of the Basillicas in Rome, but it wasn't on show!

Gutted!

ps - I'm presently the 4th highest poster even above Geoff! Guess what I'm doing with my time off!

Last edited by Lisa WTS-Collins on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a pinch I'd say talking toot. Very Happy
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the U.S. Federal regulations for becoming a registered, that is tax exempt, religious organization.
Quote:
Religious Organizations

To determine whether an organization meets the religious purposes test of section 501(c)(3), the IRS maintains two basic guidelines.

1. That the particular religious beliefs of the organization are truly and sincerely held.
2. That the practices and rituals associated with the organization's religious belief or creed are not illegal or contrary to clearly defined public policy.

Therefore, your group (or organization) may not qualify for treatment as an exempt religious organization for tax purposes if its actions, as contrasted with its beliefs, are contrary to well established and clearly defined public policy. If there is a clear showing that the beliefs (or doctrines) are sincerely held by those professing them, the IRS will not question the religious nature of those beliefs.

Somehow, I think I might have some trouble with requirement number 1. Grin

Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm - but I think Scientology is the only tax-deductable religion. If you donate to them it's deductable!!!
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm third in the post ranking!

I'm very excited about this as this is the only chance I will ever have and it's only because I am off until Monday and we just started the forum.

But still - THIRD!!!!

deackie

Club Member
Display Name: Sarah
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get more than 10 posts at the moment. I think number of posts could signify sincerity, dedication to the order. I'm crap, so off to flog myself with one of them little whips.
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early Sproutlorians had the church of Mick, we faithful used to meet once a year at Octocon in the Royal Marine. Laughing Very Happy
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa - keeping in mind a chunk of those other posts will be moderatory things, you're technically at the top.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - Lisa, you're technically the top poster, coz the 2 people above you are moderators and we had a 3 week head start posting all kinds of admin stuff in the moderators section.

So Thumbs Up for you!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: