Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Dead Pool
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Dead Pool Reply with quote

Is it appropriate to gather those names from Sproutlore members wishing to partake in a '2007 Dead Pool'?
I know it's in poor taste, but I feel, in light of the demise of Saddam, the competition is a little bit more open for the coming year.
Any takers, or even a list of five names only would be a start?

GOD (Yes, I have the advantage!) Razz

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appropriate, most certainly... Perhaps you could just elaborate a little on how it works, for the benefit of anyone unaware?

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly.
Usually played with about ten or more people, and with a 5.00 stake.
Each person picks five famous names of people alive, and the premise is to have one of them die within the following twelve months in order for the person with the name to match, to claim the pot.

Five names each, the key is to find someone famous who you think is most likely to cop it from the world of celebrity or politics etc.
MUST NOT BE SOMEBODY CRITICALLY ILL ALREADY.

Here are my five

Jimmy Saville (Cardiac after Corkscrew ride, provided by Cub-Scouts)
Jimmy Tarbuck (shortly after a golf Ball to the head)
Bruce Forsyth (Tarby hits him with club after golf ball misadventure.)
Saddam Hussein (Copped it - VOID)
David Hasselhoff (Drowned)
Natasha Kaplinsky (Too long a list, but some sort of fatal lipstick application accident)

Last edited by COD on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chrisivens

Display Name: Judderman
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, could very quickly turn into a wish-list.
Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you could have had Saddam anyway - being condemned to the death penalty is pretty much the same as being critically ill... Grin

Anyway, since we can't realistically do this for money, let's have 2 winners, who win nothing but the glory of winning..... 1 winner is the first person to be able to tick someone off their list, and 2nd winner is the one with the highest body count this time next year.

So - my list of five:

1. Baroness Thatcher (falls down the steps to her wine cellar)
2. Sir Bobby Robson (huge heart attack whilst celebrating the toon winning the premiership)
3. Pete Doherty (buggered to death whilst awaiting sentence in a Thai prison for drug smuggling)
4. Paris Hilton (chokes on a peanut M&M)
5. Tony Hart (dies of a broken heart after tragically mistaking Morph for a turd and flushing him)

Last edited by Gaz on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start, cm'on the rest of you, lets have this thread resurface in the coming year several times over.

G

Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always was of the impression that amusing part of an online Dead Pool was coming up with a bizarre and convoluted explanation for how the celebrities would "snuff it".
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really the best way to win it.
Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps where I go wrong at the Dead Pool is an indicator of where I went wrong in life... Trying to be amused by it rather than win it.
niven 101

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been running one of these at work for over a year now.me and my mate big gay daz got very bored one afternoon and did a write up on each memeber of the pool.10 of us picked one celeb each out of a hat.with this in mind heres my favorites from this pool.

Robert Mugabe
Peter Sallis
June Whitfield
Nelson Mandella
Huge Hefner

Some folks did consider this sort of thing to be a bit sick and in bad taste so to balance the books we wrote in a rule where by if YOU should die before your chosen public figure then the rest of us promised to send them the winnings instead.imagine the look on Mandellas face when he gets 45 through the post with a note attached saying "niven won you this and sends you greetings from the other side"

COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azathoth Nyxkind wrote:
Perhaps where I go wrong at the Dead Pool is an indicator of where I went wrong in life... Trying to be amused by it rather than win it.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound curt, forgot me smiley on that last post of mine.
It is fun, but the cash is an incentive too. However we aren't playing for money, but the intent was to find a winner...Although, yes, I think you're right, we should stipulate a manner of death befitting the celeb, it makes no odds to the finality of their death, but makes for good reading Laughing Laughing Laughing

Off to alter my five list in accordance with new strategy.

G

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith Richards (Attacked by pirates.)
Des O'Connor (Exposure to radioactive tanning solution.)
Fidel Castro (Falls and injures himself while dancing the mocking jig over all the CIA attempts to assinate him.)
Patrick Moore (Xylophone related incident. Very messy.)
Clive Dunn (Impaled by Patrick Moore's xylophone.)

Rupert Murdoch was one I'd thought about putting in, but decided on second thought he's probably a persistant little blighter.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Clive Dunn had died last year, must have been thinking of someone else.....

Anyway, have editted my list accordingly....

Em'n'D

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea...

I think a pretty safe bet would be to add someone who appears on the latest Jools Holland album, "Moving Out to the Country".

Jools did a "Small World Big Band - Jools Holland and Friends" album with lots of guest stars, including the last (I think) song George Harrison ever recorded. Then volume 2 came out and one of the guest artists - Edwin Starr - promptly died. Jools must have cottoned on to this worrying trend, because he included a previously recorded track with Kirsty MacColl on volume 3. Ha! Conspiracy foiled! (or is it?)

Keeping with this theory, my money's on Solomon Burke next! No man who is so big he has to be brought onto stage on a pallet truck can possibly live to a ripe old age!!!

So, my 5 would be:
1. Solomon Burke (possibly through an over-enthusiastic stage-hand slamming the brakes on too hard & catapulting him into the audience?)
2. Sam Moore (of "Sam and Dave" fame - big blues/soul man - he's far too much involved with Jools to be safe!)
3. Jeremy Clarkson (didn't learn from his colleague - or is this just wishful thinking on my part?)
4. George Bush Senior (or George W. - hey, either would do!)
5. Mahmoud Ah'm-a-dinner-jacket (or whatever his name is) the Iranian President (who'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time when George Bush wants to avenge the death of his father!)

(For the record - I'd also have picked Baroness Thatcher, but wasn't sure if you can have the same person on more than one list.)

Well, we'll see... Happy New Year, by the way! Very Happy
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I thought Clive Dunn had died last year, must have been thinking of someone else.....

If he did, I didn't see it, shout if you find out he has and I'll put in one of the others I considered.

> 4. George Bush Senior (or George W. - hey, either would do!)

Funnily enough he was going to be on my list originally.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: