Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Are the US editions edited?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alissa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Are the US editions edited? Reply with quote

Hiya,

I'm a US reader of all things Rankin, and I'm poised on the brink of ordering all his novels I don't currently own from Amazon US.

A lot of the books we get here have been Americanized. Mum becomes Mom, jumper becomes sweater, pot plant becomes potted plant (because, well, a pot plant over hear invariably means marijuana.) The books really suffer for it, because they end up with all the characters talking like Americans, when they aren't in the US. (But we like to Americanize everything, apparently, even British books.)

Before I spend this considerable amount of cash on these books, can someone tell me if Rankin's books have different text between the UK and the US edition?

Thanks a bunch!
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have never seen a US editon, but the best person to answer that would be Janet, she is an American and a Librarian or 4Pints(Dave) who is a Brit but lives in Detroit I think. Smile Check the membership list to pm them or Dave 4Pints has a web site.
fourpints

Club Member
Display Name: Fourpints
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as I know they are not edited. But I'd need to check it out. I've got my brit copy of armageddon the musical here, the american version had a different cover as i remember, i'll have to check and see if its different inside.
niven 101

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this for real?do the u.s. versions have different names too?

the brooklyn triangle?
east of wyoming?
okey pokey up ma earth?
dance of the voodoo purse?

and my favourite

they came and ate us ,for only $4.99 a head with everlasting coffee and a slice of apple pie.

WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its a shame when things get americanised... the first harry potter movie was changed from 'harry potter and the philosopher's stone' to 'harry potter and the sorcerer's stone' because someone asumed american kids wouldn't understand what a philosopher was.

i was all for expecting the second movie to come out as 'harry potter and the room of surprises'!

also, the movie 'the madness of king george' was origionally titled 'the madness of king george III', but they scrapped the 'III' because they feared a drop in attendance, what with everyone assuming it was the third in a trilogy... Rolling Eyes
fourpints

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease wrote:
yes its a shame when things get americanised... the first harry potter movie was changed from 'harry potter and the philosopher's stone' to 'harry potter and the sorcerer's stone' because someone asumed american kids wouldn't understand what a philosopher was.

Actually it was changed because philosophers don't have stones.. unless they are kidney stones in which case they should seek medical attention right away.

niven 101

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good advice that dave.
what a site. rankin talk,toot and medical advice for philosophers.
you dont get that everywhere i know.

WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fourpints wrote:
WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease wrote:

Actually it was changed because philosophers don't have stones.. unless they are kidney stones in which case they should seek medical attention right away.

they do so have stones Wink
http://www.crystalinks.com/philosopherstone.html
fourpints

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man people will post any old toot on the internet Rolling Eyes
Stacey

Display Name: Stacey
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not such a big deal, American books are often changed for a British readership too, recently I read The Kills by Linda Fairstein, the story is set in New York but all the way through the book they have changed the spellings of words from American to English so we have "Doughnut" spelt correctly though for some strange reason "cheques" was still spelt "checks" but "trunk" had become "boot". Weird eh?
fourpints

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the american version of Matt Thomas' Before and After was editted as not to offend the americans.

the whole american style tv evangalist was cut as i recall.

(I'm sure you'll tell me if I'm right Matt - I know you're out there lurking Tongue )

kidzlibrarian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: need help as I am British impaired Reply with quote

Well, I have just become a Rankinite or Sproutist or how about Sprouthead and I am American, though I did spend a summer in London many eons ago. I listened to The Witches of Chiswick on CD and became an instant addict (I especially liked Barry the Sprout's voice) so I ordered a slew of Rankin books. This is just like an AA introduction (I am guessing).
Anyway, I have to admit that there are phrases that go right over my head. I am almost done with the brightonomicon but the next Rankin novel I read, I will read with highlighter in hand and ask for help here. I have figured out some terms through content so I am not going to ask you for help with every Britishism.
Thank you in advance, Helen from NM in ME at the moment

Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Exclamation no sweat ask away. Smile
olliecollie

Display Name: Gary
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the US versions remove all content greater than 3 syllables.. Laughing

...Only joking our transatlantic brothers! Wink
kidzlibrarian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: vocabulary Reply with quote

Well, to be brutally honest, I think that there has been a dumbing down thingy going on. I have been reading voraciously for 45 years (since I was 4, so now you know how old I am) and though the books I was reading at 4 are quite different from some of the ones I read in subsequent years, I really have seen a change in vocabulary in children's and grown-up (as opposed to adult) books. There is a big difference, especially if one compares books written even earlier than the 1960's.
I loved and love books by Edward Eager, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, just to mention a few and the vocabulary those authors used is so colorful and erudite. It is an education just reading their books. While I did go to school (and will keep on taking classes and workshops as I love learning) and have all these degrees (yeah, I guess I am bragging) I really think I have learned more through reading.
Helen from NM in ME but I am going to OR for almost 2 weeks tomorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: