Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Greetings from outer Brentonia...(south africa)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyfly

Display Name: Shannon
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Greetings from outer Brentonia...(south africa) Reply with quote

Hello all, Im pretty new to this site and i absolutely LOVE Robert Rankins Work and have read and re-read most (if not all)of his books.I am just wanting to find out a bit about my fellow plucky Brentonians...Are there any of you from South Africa or should i win a prize for that too...(I was the 100th member to sign up)!!
How old is the average member?
What IS it to you that makes Mr Rankins work so likeable?
How did you discover his books and are you ALL avid readers?
What type of other books do you read?

Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how old we are, but I'm 39. I also don't know if there are any others from South Africa, but I know I'm one of the few Americans here.

As far as what it is that makes the books so likable, well that's something I've been considering posting about for a while. For me it is a combination of three things, each of which individually would probably make me read his book but together they make them absolutely irresistable.

First is the urban fantasy element. I love the idea of a fantastic, mythical world still existing in and/or by our own. I like the sense of wonder it gives to everyday surroundings and while I do enjoy a certain amount of straightforward fantasy, sometimes the made up place and person names give me a headache. I remember when I first read that the French who first settled the neighborhood where I grew up had believed there were werewolves there. I was very disappointed that I hadn't known it as a child because it would have made my childhood much more interesting and magical. I think that's part of what urban fantasy does well, makes our everyday world magical. I also like it because the people live in the same world I do and deal with the same issues, unlike the overwhelmingly feudal and monarchist stories of traditional fantasy. At some point I just stop being able to relate to aristocrats.

The next element is the comedy, specifically male British humour. I have what would be considered a very British sense of humour. I am dry and sarcastic and often deadpan. That's the sort of thing I find funny. And while I do enjoy female comedians, it is the male sense of humour that I like the best. I've given this a lot of thought and it comes down to one thing, taking the piss. Men, when they are together in groups will inevitably take the piss. Women tend not to do this. Yes there's the occassional catty comment, but usually there is sincere nastiness at it's base. Men just joke that way, which is probably why I'm more comfortable in a group of men than a group of women. It also helps that I have five brothers and I used to love to sit around and listen to them and their friends bantering back and forth. My male best friend and his other friends do it as well, and one of the funniest experiences of my life was a car ride with Mick and the guys. A man can question his friends parentage, sexualy prowess, intelligence, bravery or anything else and still be best friends after it. Women don't work that way. I don't know why, but we don't, which is why I'd much rather read a Rankin book than chick lit anyday.

The third factor is very specific to me. You see, I have a thing about friendship. When I was little all I wanted in this world was a best friend, and now that I have two of them they are the most important things in my life. I am constantly irritated by people, films and books that put down friendship or push the idea that men and women can't be friends and must be in love underneath it all. On the other hand, I am completely captivated by stories, movies and TV shows that feature best friends, especially best friends who are as devoted as I am to mine. In every Rankin book, without exception, the main character has a best friend to whom he is devoted. This I find irresistable.

I can tell you the exact moment I became completely hooked on Rankin's writing. I was reading my first book of his, Sex and Drugs and Sausage Rolls, and John lunged across a car in a blind rage to throttle the man who had killed Jim. That was it. I was hooked because that's exactly what I would have done if someone had pointed out to me a person who had hurt, much less killed, Mick or Kathy. I don't think there's another writer today who consistently does best friends as well as Rankin. Compare him with, say Jasper Fforde, who writes interesting books but will never grab me emotionally because Thursday Next has no friends, only family, coworkers and a husband. After a while, those books just start to drag on me because I can't respect a person who has no friends, no matter how heroic or likable they are made out to be. On the other hand, John and Jim will always have my love and respect because even if they aren't particularly heroic, at most reluctantly so, and they aren't always the most honest and certainly not hardworking, they have a true friendship and that's what counts.

I imagine this post is already too long for many, so I'll leave your other questions for another time.

skyfly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janet!
WOW , thanx for that....as coincidence would have it...my first Rankin book i ever read was also sex,drugs and sausage rolls!!
Although Roberts work IS fantastical and it DOES take a large stretch of the imagination to play out a scene in ones head,at the same time it is completely understandable and viable.Some of his characters' actions and remarks are just so "on the money"-it's not even funny-if you know what I mean.And i think that you do!
They react in much the same way as most (or even all of us) would react in certain situations , and it takes a lot to pull that off -especially in the context of His whacked out scenarios.
My only problem is that after sex,drugs and sausage rolls i was so instantly hooked that i read about 10 Rankins in immediate succession and then i had a break with reading a few other novels......but when the time came for the need for some more of His outstanding humour....i couldnt quite remember which ones i had read and which ones were still to be read!!!
I couldn't very well go and page through one or two to see if I had read them or not as they are all sort of interlinked with many of the same characters in many of His other books.
O Well...I guess ill have to just go back to square one and start them all again!
Janet....How many of your friends have you converted?
Be The Sprout in their ears....
Thaks for your reply and it DOES go a long way to understanding what makes up a true Rankin Fan!!

Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've converted my two best friends, of course. I am working on my brother Barry and my nephew Barry, because of the names but I don't know if it's taken yet. I also have a coworker who is going to tell me the next time she has a gap in her reading schedule so I can lend her one. I am proud to say, though, that I've managed to get about five into the library where I work and plan to get them to buy the rest as soon as there are U.S. editions.
skyfly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats GREAT...Ive converted 4 of my mates and they are just as Gung-Ho on His books as i was (which is a BIG GUNG-HO)!! Ive just moved to another part of the country recently and i dont know anybody here yet so i got all the time i need to catch up with reading! YAHOO!!!
Cant wait for TOYMINATOR to hit our shores...it looks brilliant(there i go judging a book by it's cover again)....and ill bet my bestest mates last doller it will be!
PS ONly 200 more posts to go and we're even!!!

Scouse Elvis

Club Member
Display Name: Scouse Elvis
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skyfly

Average age is probably split, there's a portion of early to mid twenties, a portion of thirty somethings (like me) and a portion of older and less wise forty to fifty somethings.

I think I was first attracted to Robert's works by the bright colours and cheap price, I personally read anything vaguely comedic or fantasy type stuff, but a lot of the others on here are more geeky than me and read books with big words (other than coprophilia, which I've just upset myself because I remembered that word Shocked )

I know of one other South African who's a sproutlore member but she hasn't posted for a while and lives over here now so doesn't count Razz

Welcome again and enjoy the hospitality Thumbs Up
skyfly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanx and I really appreciate the reply!
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Robert Rankin because he was next to Pratchett in the Bookshop, as he is likely to be in most bookshops, and the covers were very interesting...
His books are fantastic because they combine complexity with surreal and really interesting ideas that really make you laugh. And think.
Mostly I read an interesting mix of proper Fantasy, 18th/19th century literature, and anything considered a classic. Oscar Wilde is awesome, for example!

bassmonkey

Display Name: bassmonkey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berry wrote:
I found Robert Rankin because he was next to Pratchett in the Bookshop

same here, i was also atracted by the name of his books. Armegeddon the Musical, Dance of the Voodoo Handbag, They Came And Ate Us only to name a few

talie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Skyfly, what Elvis really means is some of us (like me) are really old farts. Ignore what Janet or anyone else says we all really fecking hate each other, most of them smell too and despite what pics you might see you would not meet an uglier bunch of people and some of them come from the north!!

Oh and I lie Very Happy

Got any matches, young lady Clara and myself like to partake in your wee pyromanic friends!

WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes... i'm a particularly stinky northener! Thumbs Up

an ex, neil, introduced me to the ways of the rankin. (well that was the one good thing to come out of that relationship, then!). i've since converted 2 mates.

working since june as a bookseller has been fantastic. i look after the sf/fantasy in my shop and have so far converted many a local with my enthusiastic recommendations. i alternate his back catalogue to give a new book a 'face out' every week and he generates a lot of interest because the covers and the titles are so fantastic.

i love rankin simply because his work can make a 24 year old lady guffaw on public transport and look like a complete nutter. and oh yes, i have been known to quote passages to strangers in explanation for this behaviour!
theladyinthestrawhat

Display Name: amy amy amy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheffield's in the north by the way, just ask my cornet teacher.

anyway, skyfly i think i'm the youngest here being just a sweet sixteen (bless). i got into rankin after being recomended it by a very good friend of mine who i expect will be on here once she's connected. i was a logical step after lots of dahl and horrible historys as a child and having just read hitchhikers.

not all northeners are smelly by the way, just some. --WayneCoyne'sBubbleGrease

Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic replies moved to this thread

Display Name: El Boylucas
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahalo Hombreos.
My fellow South African Rankin Fan shoved me in the general direction of this website.
I too, am from Johannesburg, City of Gold and of my heart, South Africa.

And round these parts, Rankin is king Literarily. Every day at 3:47 precisely, South Africa shuts down for 8 minutes and point two seconds of unadulterated Rankin worship. Itís quite a process, let me tell you.

We also have Rankin day twice a year. You should totally come check it out.

And now that Iíve done my bit for South African tourism, hello and how are you?!

I got into Rankin through the very appreciated suggestions of a certain Edwardhino Presley, who I believe is also a new recruit here.
Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too bad thanks. Just had a nice pizza after a four train journey from Gloucestercestercestershire back to the arid lands of High Wealden, where it was pouring with rain-stuff.

I glad to hear SA has given up that republic nonsense and adopted a Brit as head of state as is proper. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutJaw All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: