Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
X men 3 (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swineherd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, Swineherd, which movie would you rather see, X-men 3 or MI: 3?"

Someone asked Tom Lehrer which US political party he preferred and he responded that it was like asking: "Which disease would you rather die of?"

Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bored out of my tiny mind for entirity of MI:3 whereas I was at least vaguely moved by moments of Last Stand. But by my own admition it's not saying an awful lot. Laughing
Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Tom Lehrer quote. The lad is a genius.

Which superhero would you be? I apparently am Batman. Because: "You are dark, love gadgets and have vowed to help the innocent not suffer the pain you have endured."

http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/superhero/

Lee

Display Name: Lee Noble
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'nother movie not to bother with. The Omen.

I was well aware of it being a remake of a classic, but I didn't think it was going to be a carbon copy. Like that awful 90s made for TV clone of Psycho, really what was the point. They could have saved a lot of money and just digitally remastered the original. Further to its detriment the only thing they didn't copy was the fantastic score. I guess whoever holds the rights to it just plain refused to be involved.

And the kid didn't look nearly evil enough. In the final scene (don't want to give away the ending) but you can just hear the director shouting at the kid through a megaphone.

"Okay now turn your head around. Now Look evil......more evil....narrow your eyes luv.....eviler, ok now smile but really eeeeeevvvill"

I assume he gave up on the 666th take because that kid ain't evil enough.

Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me narrowminded, but what possed you to even give it your time?
Lee

Display Name: Lee Noble
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you're narrowminded.

In my defence, I hadn't seen any trailers or any reviews. It was just wishful thinking that it would be any good. I was wrong.

Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to say, that shot-for-shot remake for Psycho was released in the theatres, at least over here it was. I didn't bother with the new Omen because I did see the ads and everything I saw looked identical to the original. Plus, the kid managed to be simultaneously less cute and less creepy than the original one.

Mick told me the other day that he has vowed never to see another remake. I think that's a pretty good vow, especially since I just heard the Weinsteins are planning to remake the Seven Samurai. Yeah, because that wasn't done right the first time. Rolling Eyes

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot more remakes out there than people realise. Which is worrying.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fly was a remake. Scarface was a remake, [everyone else seems to like it]. Cape Fear - remake. JONATHAN DEMEs Manchurian Candidate is good effort.
Twelve Monkeys I believe is also a remake.

Last edited by Azathoth on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see the remake of the Manchurian Candidate because the first one was definitely done right. It's my second favourite film of all time. First favourite is Blow Up, and I didn't see DePalma's ripoff Blow Out either.
Loz

Display Name: Loz McGregor
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet wrote:
... I just heard the Weinsteins are planning to remake the Seven Samurai. Yeah, because that wasn't done right the first time. Rolling Eyes

Oh for goodness sake, that's one of my fave films and is exacly as it needs to be! Even A Fistfull Of Dollars was shot almost scene for scene the same as Yojimbo. They're just perfect as they are. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Loz on Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True about Yojimbo an FIstful Of Dollars but somehow I always thought it managed to have identy of it's own, but that could be 'cause I saw Sergio Leoni film first, young and was so taken with it and the rest of trilogy.
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yojimbo is such a great film. Thumbs Up A few years ago the art film theatre in Detroit ran a twelve week Kurosawa/Mifune retrospective. When I started going it was mostly based on reputation and having liked a couple films. As I left the theatre after Yojimbo I was a committed fan. Even the soundtrack is brilliant.
Reverend Jim

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yojimbo and Fistful Of Dollars are both great films. Kurosawa sued Leone over "stealing" his story, which is pretty good as he nicked it from Dashiel Hammett in the first place (Red Harvest, which eventually turned up as a Walter Hill film starring Bruce Willis). And he possibly nicked the story from a play called A Servant Of Two Masters from the eighteenth century.

Twelve Monkeys is sort of a remake, but as the original is only twenty odd minutes long, and consists of a series of black and white photos with a voice over the Gilliam one is a much different film. The original is called La Jetée and is excellent, if you're partial to arty French SF.

I'll shut up now.
Loz

Display Name: Loz McGregor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I know what I meant to type last night but was a bit tipsy! Embarassed

It's like South Park episode "Simpsons Did It" explained- there is no completely original idea anymore, so we shouldn't worry to much about feeling like we're copying others as long as we do it in our own way.
I guess what I don't like is when the Youth Of Today are unaware of the original film/song and wax lyrical about it, when in fact it's a pale imitation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: