Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
What are you reading?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you reckon to "Excession" Phil? Iain is another of my fav authors, I'm currently reading Look to Windward by Mr Banks myself at the moment.

Prior to this I read: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, not bad but I'm not really sure who the authour was aiming the book at.

&

Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, excellent SciFi read Cool

Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious...Dog was a great book. I guess it meant more to me as I have taught several Aspergers kids and understood where the thought processes were going.
Scouse Elvis

Club Member
Display Name: Scouse Elvis
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently reading an Ian Rankin and Neil Gaiman both bought from ASDA as its the only place I seem to go where books can be purchased and I don't trust the internet.
Jumbo

Site Admin
Display Name: James Bacon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am reading Kenneth Macseys Invasion
A campaign history of July 1940, when Germany destroyed the RAF, invaded England and forced HM government to flee across the Atlantic.

Its rather interesting reading, and I love alt History, should be finished by tommorow.

Meanwhile for on the train I have THE CALL OF CTHULHU AND OTHER WEIRD STORIES its teh penguin edition edited by S. T. Joshi, sho seems to be an expert and each story has a small piece about it and a selection of refernces which i find really interesting.

Its a great intro into Lovecraft, although spome of his work, despite his cult status is pedestrian, and as it was put to me recently, I might be to old for them!

james

theladyinthestrawhat

Display Name: amy amy amy
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

read adrian mole and the wepons of mass destruction, and finished it in a day yesterday. the only one so far to make me cry. i should really read them in order.
swineherd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading the new one by Charles Stross (born in Leeds, resides in Edinburgh) in his "Merchant Princes" series. I love his books, but I can't help getting stuck on his "British-isms" issuing fom the mouth of supposedly American characters. Things like "driving license" instead of "driver's license"; pay "rise" instead of "raise"; singular vs. plural--"the band are performing" vs. "the band is performing". I'd expect any good editor to catch things like that. But his stories are great, and I keep reading them, so obviously they aren't too egregious.
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It suddenly occurred to me to recommend a book as I was mowing the lawn yesterday. (Lately, lawn mowing has replaced even showering as my prime thinking time.) For those of you who enjoyed, or are enjoying, Anansi Boys, I highly recommend reading Midnight Robber by Nalo Hopkinson. Gaiman thank Hopkinson for correcting his attempts at Caribbean dialect in Anansi Boys, but he didn't thank he for the fact that he stole the structure of the book from Midnight Robber.

As you might guess, I'm a little irked at this injustice. I think Nalo Hopkinson is one of the best writers around. If you read the fairy tale short story collections edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, you are probably already familiar with her work. Since Octavia Butler's sudden death, I have been dealing with the mortality of my favourite writers. Having someone as good as Hopkinson who is fairly new on the scene gives me hope that I'll still have some great books to read ten or more years down the line.

swineherd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Janet. I just read the summary and immediately reserved it from the library.
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time over from me 'oliday and being generally grumpy with everyone, including some of you guys, for which I apologise, so I went into me old library and picked out a good favourite to read over the last two nights. Maicheal Marshall Smith - Only Forward.
I always read the first prologue or paragraph of a book before buying, that one grabbed me. That was ten years ago I think? Read again and it does make me laugh.
Had to put it down briefly cos Hitchikers was on Sky Movies and I hadn't seen it yet, thought I had, but I must have confused it with something else...hmmm?

GOD

Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohh I read that Marshall Smith one a couple of months ago. My Hubs loves his stuff. Shame he went the same way as Iain (M) Banks. Rolling Eyes
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been dipping into "Is It Just Me or Is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life" by Alan McArthur and Steve Lowe.

It makes me chuckle. I highly recommend it!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I've been dipping into "Is It Just Me or Is Everything Shit?: The Encyclopedia of Modern Life" by Alan McArthur and Steve Lowe.

I was going to get that, but being a fanatic of the 'HolyMoly' website, I realised it was something that was being done online, particulary in 'C**ts Corner' Go there, have a chuckle, though you might have already. Laughing

GOD

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Holy Moly, I was given their book a while back.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stacey

Display Name: Stacey
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a fab graphic novel called Vinarama by Grant Morrison and Phil Bond (I think memory shot!).
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know the graphic novel of that was out. I remember Mick telling me about it when he was buying the individual issues. I will have to track that down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: