Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Hello, thought I'd introduce myself
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nursewhen

Display Name: Helen
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Hello, thought I'd introduce myself Reply with quote

Hello peeps,
I've just recently joined and you've probably seen me around like rash, so I thought I'd do a formal hello.

I'm NurseWhen, but I'm not a nurse, it's a play on Doctor Who and I kind of defaulted into the name because people started calling me it when I paired up with my partner, Doctor When.

I work in computers and I teach belly dance for a hobby.

Talking of Doctor When, he's into drum and bass and zombies and heavily into steam punk, rayguns and b3ta, so this forum actually feels like somebody downloaded his brain and I'm wandering around in it which is a very odd experience. However, I'm the one who's hooked on Mr Rankins books, so I'm here and he's not. Ha Ha!

I like my sci fi and will be going to 'Redemption' in 2 weeks. This used to be a Babylon5 and Blake's 7 convention but is now multimedia and always lots of fun.

Ooh ooh! while I think of it, is that zombiecon going to get repeated, Doctor When is mortified that we didn't know about it and it was local too!

Anyway, I'm pleased to meet you all and look forward to getting to know you.

Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the words of the Animaniacs; "HellOOOOOOOOOOOOO nurse!"

Welcome. I don't think the club will be doing another zombie thing any time soon. So far no theme (other than beer) has been repeated.

Display Name: Darren
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the phorum Nursewhen. I'm a real Nurse, and a real Scouser, and a real Elvis as well (I'm in Robert' latest book Laughing Still can't get over that fact so cheers agin Robert Thumbs Up

You've obviously come to the right place, read your posts and you're going to fit in well here. Everyone else but me is a bit weird and geeky, so pull up a chair and talk the toot Weebl
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

Zombiecon was a one-performance show, however that's not to say that the next one won't involve any steampunk, rayguns or whatever else. As Timmeh said, aside from Large etc there's not been any repetition. I'm sure if you catch the right people at the bar you'd be able to get quite a decent conversation on zombies going though.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nursewhen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all!!

Pity about the zombies, Doctor When is currently making plans as to how we will survive the imminent zombie apocalypse, so a couple of workshops and panels would have come in handy. I hope he gets his plans straight soon otherwise I'll be barricading the door while he dithers over whether to wear full plate armour or his hunting tweeds.

MMMMMmmm Large!

Yes, I forgot to mention that Doctor When and I both have a bit of a passion for real ale and I hope will at some point help out in the search for the perfect pint of Large.

Dr When origanised a proper black country tour of all the brewery taps and I would like to nominate Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild as a strong contender. At 6% it brought me to me knees. It's a Victorian building complete with all the fittings and you buy the beer via a little kiosk where you have to bend over double and address the bar maid's midriff in order to get your perfect pint.

Here's some blurb I found on the internet.

The tap itself is Beacon Hotel in Sedgley, The hotel was built in 1850, complete with a tiny tower brewery in the yard at the back. The complex was bought in 1921 by Sarah Hughes, who ran it for 30 years until her death in 1951. Her family closed the brewery, but Sarah's grandson, John Hughes, decided to resume brewing when he found her recipe for Dark Ruby Mild in a cigar box in 1987.

The finished beer, Sarah Hughes' Dark Ruby Mild, is sold on draft in the hotel, a shrine to Victoriana with tap room, smoke room and snug, all with open fires and tiled floors. Each room is supplied with beer through hatches in a central servery. The beer is also a true Victorian oneó6 percent alcohol, with a ripe, fruity nose where black currant dominates, laced with earthy Fuggles hops. The palate is wonderfully complex, summoning up every dark fruit imaginable. The finish becomes stunningly dry with a powerful Fuggles character.

Reverend Jim

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild is one of my absolute favourite beers; bloody stunning and too rarely seen. Though I do have a friend who's convinced it doesn't exist and I've just made it up to taunt her with.
I must visit the brewery tap at some point, sounds rather fine.
nursewhen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scouse One wrote:
Welcome to the phorum Nursewhen. I'm a real Nurse, and a real Scouser, and a real Elvis as well (I'm in Robert' latest book Laughing Still can't get over that fact so cheers agin Robert Thumbs Up

You've obviously come to the right place, read your posts and you're going to fit in well here. Everyone else but me is a bit weird and geeky, so pull up a chair and talk the toot Weebl

Well done you for being immortalised in the book.
Mr Rankin is an author and a gentleman as I found when to my surprise, the man himself replied to my very first tremulous newbie post. Very Happy

Weebl Mmmm pie....

nursewhen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Jim wrote:
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild is one of my absolute favourite beers; bloody stunning and too rarely seen. Though I do have a friend who's convinced it doesn't exist and I've just made it up to taunt her with.

At our last tap on the tour, the Old Swan, I was telling the locals (as they held me up and the gaffer (with waitcoat, pocket watch and splendid moustache) banged out 'roll out the barrel' on a badly tuned joanna (I'm not kidding).

"I wanna..I wanna diieee in a barrel of Shara Jones Parky Hubry Mild...you're my besht pal, I lurve yoo.."

It even had a steam whistle to call time with!
Then we had to get back in the minibus and it all got a bit vague after that.

Boggwoppit

Club Member

Display Name: Hugh Morris
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Jim wrote:

Have to say it my favorite beer of memory. Having said that i havent seen it at the Great British Beer festival for many a year and thought they had stopped making it on draft and only in limited amounts in bottles.

I think we need to get a pipe line running to the south. Very Happy

My last memory of drinking it was at said festival with me and my friend Tilly drinking far to many pints of it and finding it hard to get off the floor when they told us we had to go home. Don't think we had any other beer on the three nights we attended Very Happy

Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello nursewhat,welcome last time I had that was at the Ealing real ale festival. Smile
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nursewhat

Quote:
Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild is one of my absolute favourite beers

It used to be the regular Mild in The Brunswick (pub next door to the Derby Swan)

nursewhen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy! What's with the Nursewhats?

When..When I tell you!

Laughing

Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, well made. Sorry Miss When Very Happy
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now when you've told us I will remember oh! you have Wink Mr. Green
monkey

Display Name: stewart
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello nursewhen any fan of robert is a friend of mine unless you're an axe weilding maniac that is i hope you dont mind but i thought i would hiack your post instead of starting my own and introduce my self
hi evrybody my name is monkey been called it since i was an apprentice,
been a sproutlore member for 6 months

i dont get all this steampunk stuff i am a good old fashioned lover of the internal combustion engine. however i love ale good old real ale and my favourite has to be 6x being a westcountry boy but since living in NI i have found a love of the hilden brewery.

i have been reading roberts books for about 3 years and own roughly half of them however i read any science fiction
i listen to punk music and ska and truth be told consider myself a bovver boy ( for those of you who dont understand watch this is england) however as anyone knows real life gets in the way
so hi everybody this is me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: