Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Hi :)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Remington83

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Hi :) Reply with quote

Well I just thought I'd introduce myself as a new member, I've lurked around a couple of times and this seems to be a great club. Very Happy
Anyway by now your probably wondering why I'd introduce myself in the SproutMaster Forum, well I have a question.
I am currently re-reading Web Site Story (one of my personal favs) and for the first time have taken notice of the dedication in the front.
Knowing Mr. Rankin has a bit of a penchant for anagrams I began working on the lead heroines name (Kelly Anna Sirjan), I've come up with a couple of plausible ones, but am just wondering if this was his wife or similar?
I don't want to pry, am just interested.
Thanks.

Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to remind our fellow posters of the forum posting guidelines:
Quote:
NOTE: Out of awe, respect, and fear of divine retribution, discussion of or speculation into Robert's private life is not welcome, anywhere on the forum.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Club Member
Display Name: Rachie D
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Remington83.

As Timmeh! has pointed out - we really cannot discuss such things on here.

Welcome to the forum though. Very Happy
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Remington83

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh! wrote:
I would just like to remind our fellow posters of the forum posting guidelines:
Quote:
NOTE: Out of awe, respect, and fear of divine retribution, discussion of or speculation into Robert's private life is not welcome, anywhere on the forum.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

I did read the guidelines, and wasn't asking for names or even inculding the ones I've put together from the anagram. Surely if it were such a secret the clue wouldn't have been included in the dedication of the book? I mean dedicating it to his golden woman then repeatedly refering to a charcter as the golden girl etc..
geez...

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your query would by its nature require the divulging of personal information, which we don't do here.

Nobody is saying it's a secret, just not something we talk about here. Simple!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Remington83

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should reword my query,
I DONT want to know who the person is, I'm more interested if Mr. Rankin routinely hides other peoples names by way of anagrams in his books.
Again, I DONT want any personal information, and I'd have thought one of his fans might be know or be able to discuss what I consider to be a quirk of his books, much in the same way you might discuss some of the running gags or a returning character.
Ah forget it...

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I dismantled the anagram. There are characters which are distinctly less well-masked, for exmple Scouse Elvis, the lady from musical therapy and so on in the latest book to name but a handful.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remington83 wrote:
Perhaps I should reword my query,
I DONT want to know who the person is, I'm more interested if Mr. Rankin routinely hides other peoples names by way of anagrams in his books.

Normally characters are simply named after real people, no anagrams involved, but I can think of a couple of cases where there's been an anagram.

Remington83 wrote:
Again, I DONT want any personal information, and I'd have thought one of his fans might be know or be able to discuss what I consider to be a quirk of his books, much in the same way you might discuss some of the running gags or a returning character.

Well, to be fair, the way you worded your query initially would have required personal information to give an answer. Of course we can discuss the various quirks of the books, just not when it involves the discussion of any aspect of Robert's private life. Book dedications can often be a very personal thing though remember.

Remington83 wrote:
Ah forget it...

Good idea. Move along now, nothing to see here.....

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: