Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
why did you start reading robert's books??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew dunderdale

Display Name: matthew dunderdale
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: why did you start reading robert's books?? Reply with quote

just been reading the "pratchett knighthood" thread, and was curious...

my reason was that i had been turned flat down by a girl (my best mates older sister, she had a boyfriend, oh sod it!!), valentines day 2004... 2 days later i'm annoyed as hell, looking in the bookshop for something humerous to take my mind off the situation...

i see a poster advertising "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" in the bookshop and the rest as they say is history...

red dwarf series 6, "legion"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a member of the Fantasy and Science Fiction Book Club run by world books, from whose catalogue you were obliged to order something each month. The hardbacks of TBOUT and ROTLCP were going for half price and the ad bore the legend: "One of the few authors who can always make me laugh" - Terry Pratchett. I was a big TP fan at the time, had already read all of his and was on the lookout for more of similar.
Little did I know then that one day I'd end up in one of his books!

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, at around the christmas time, I had to get my brothers then girlfriend a nice present for christmas. I was kind of at a loss as to what to get her. I knew she was a huge pratchett fan but she could sod herself if she thought for one moment I was gonna get her the Death and Binky figurine she kept hinting about.

So off I went to Waterstones. And picked up my normal monthly copy of SFX magazine. I sat myself down for a quick perusal and looked for a glimmer of a suggestion of a clue for a prezzy. And Lo it came to pass that in the book review section there was a miracle!!! A review of a book I had never heard of by an author I had but never read (I had been going thru a Harlan Ellison phase and still am..... Sad huh?). It was Nostradamus Ate My Hamster. Even the name made me piss myself laughing. Christmas was well and trully saved! I bought it for her and she was pleased indeed. Hardback, first edition and all. Grand

Constantly amused by the name of the book I went back a couple of weeks later to buy myself a copy and..... Shite! Sold out! NOOOOOOOOO!

So off I went to the cheap and cheerful section (ok, paperback sci-fi) and damn me there was a load of Rankin books! I rad along and just had to buy Armageddon The Musical. Again the name just made me laugh so much I had to get it. Next day (after readin book one in one day) I bought the other 2 books in the trilogy. And the rest is history.

I am also now the proud owner of 25 of the soon to be 30 books as first editions. Not many to go!
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also a big TP fan at the time - it was sometime in 1996/97 and I was stuck in Gatwick airport for 3 hours on the way back from a business trip having missed my connecting flight home. I was in WHSmiths and couldn't find any TP books I didn't already have, and right next to the TP selection was about 3 or 4 RR books - the one that jumped out at me because of the title was Armageddon The Musical. I also recall seeing the quote from TP on one of them as Tim mentioned. So I bought Armageddon and read half of it before I got back home. Still my favourite book!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tosh

Display Name: Tosh
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tale of 1991ish WHSmiths and Armageddon for me.
I'd read all the SirPterrys and a spotty oik working there asked if I'd read Armageddon and pointed out the TP quote.
I was hooked...

Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at a humorous SF/Fantasy convention in Derby and Robert was the GOH in that hotel just across from the station.

Before ElBaco and Sheildsy ever founded Sproutlore. Cool
Abakai

Display Name: Abakai
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
I was also a big TP fan at the time - it was sometime in 1996/97 and I was stuck in Gatwick airport for 3 hours on the way back from a business trip having missed my connecting flight home. I was in WHSmiths and couldn't find any TP books I didn't already have, and right next to the TP selection was about 3 or 4 RR books - the one that jumped out at me because of the title was Armageddon The Musical. I also recall seeing the quote from TP on one of them as Tim mentioned. So I bought Armageddon and read half of it before I got back home. Still my favourite book!

Almost the same for me, but without the airport. The same sort of time, in a Smiths and I couldn't find a TP book I had not read. seen the TP endorsement on Armageddon and the rest is history.

Argon

Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all Toot's fault. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was the GOH in that hotel just across from the station

The Midland or Aston Court?

I saw a review of Armageddon the Musical in a Red Dwarf magazine called "The Smegazine". It sounded great so I went & bought a copy.

Incidently that's also how I found out about Douglas Adams

barking owl

Display Name: Kirsty
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

during the mid 90s I had caught up with all the Anne Rice, TP and Tom Holt books that were out, so I was browsing in my fav bookshop Dillons on Argyle street (now a waterstones Rolling Eyes ), when my eye was drawn by the title of Armageddon the Musical. Still my fav book too!
juliogeordio

Display Name: Bryan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Why Reply with quote

I was going for a relaxing week on Arran and saw "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies". Read it, loved it so bought the rest. Hard to pick a fave as all are equally brilliant. Think the TP quote did sway me as well as if he likes Robert Rankin then he must be good.
moose previous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a browse in WH Smiths one day. Spotted Armageddon the Musical and liked the cover. Picked it up. Looked at the back. Sprouts and Elvis? That's the bunny!
Before I read any Pratchett too. (Late comer there I'm afraid)

Captain Fantastic

Club Member
Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm that T.P. connection seems to quite prevelant......

I was going into the military hospital at Aldershot and stopped in Smiths for reading material, no Pratchett but something by this chap Rankin with a Pratchett quote, I picked up the first two Armageddon books and never looked back.
Hospital stay was three days, I had nothing to read by the second day as I couldn't put them down Very Happy

http://web.mac.com/icase Photos from events.
www.zombiecon.co.uk
Analog Kid

Display Name: Michael
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another case of Armageddon with a hint of persuasion from that Pratchett bloke thrown in here. I've just started reading the Brentford Trilogy so I've still got plenty to be going at!
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Black wrote:
Quote:
was the GOH in that hotel just across from the station

The Midland or Aston Court?

I saw a review of Armageddon the Musical in a Red Dwarf magazine called "The Smegazine". It sounded great so I went & bought a copy.

Incidently that's also how I found out about Douglas Adams
Station at your back it was on the right hand side as you crossed the road.

And it was organized by Octarine magazine crowd and TP turned up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: