Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
nostalgia.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttastev

Display Name: terry
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: nostalgia..... Reply with quote

looking at the pic of Lady Claras chevette made me all nostalgic. having been born and brought up just outside Luton,when i was a sprog you could knock on any door down my road and be likely to find someone who worked at one of vauxhalls plants,either the luton car plant or dunstable truck plant. the sight of trucks minus the cab driving around was common and trade plated cars were everywhere. Of course, being Luton, if you were to go into anyones garage the chances of finding knocked off spare parts was nearly 100% certain!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil aaahhhh them was the days Stoned
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mad mad fool!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

I wonder what the kids of today will be nostalgic about when they're older?

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna spend my nostalgia reminiscing about particularly good hangovers.
reddragon70

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I get nostalgic about old games. Manic Miner, Elite, Jet Pac and the like. My wife even bought me an Atari game consule with 30 games that just plugs into your TV. Oh that was fun Grin
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be!

I wonder what the kids of today will be nostalgic about when they're older?

Mine is going to be of steam rollers, climbing trees, classic cars, cycling over ditches, ginger beer....

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddragon70 wrote:
Oddly enough I get nostalgic about old games. Manic Miner, Elite, Jet Pac and the like. My wife even bought me an Atari game consule with 30 games that just plugs into your TV. Oh that was fun Grin

I'm the same, I'd love to play some of those old games again, but they're just not the same on an emulator with a PC keyboard.... Plus, I think if I played Manic Miner again now I'd probably throw it out the window.... Would love someone to remake Elite as a MMORPG though - keep the gameplay the same, just beef up the graphics.

I am however very glad to be living in an age where they're making games like this (due out next year) :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43328.html?type=flv

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
barking owl

Display Name: Kirsty
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that looks sooo cool!

Ive still got my ZX Spectrum 48k + in the cupboard, in perfect working condition, and a full box of games to go with it. I might even still have my original Ghostbusters game in there too.

Ah, them were the days...

What was that game someone put a link of ages ago, and we were talking about having a Sprout team online. Something war-sy, with characters with big chins... That looked good. Does anyone remember what it was and if it is out yet?

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was Battlefield Heroes, and no, it's still not out.

http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/

I've still got a Spectrum 128K (original version that looks like the Spectrum + with a huge toast-rack of a heat sink nailed to it) in the loft together with a tape machine and some games..... no idea if it still works, but it did the last time I checked (probably 15 years ago now).

barking owl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh.... so good. We def need to get into that Smile

My Spectrum wasnt the soft rubber key keyboard, but these big chunky plastic boys.

Its funny how I could sit for ages trying to load in a game, tape screaming away in my lughole, with enough time to go make a cuppa, to come back and realise it didnt work, and to rewind and start all over again.

WEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOP, WEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOP, BEEEEEEEEEEE

and I now get annoyed when an intenet page doesnt load instantly, those are extra seconds that Im losing looking at crap! Dagnabbit.

I must have had more patience in those days...

reddragon70

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz the closest thing I have seen to elite is probably Eve Online. Looks bloody stunning too. However, this game takes a huge amount of thought and planning. Every single step you take has to be meticulously planned. Every upgrade thought through including secondary upgrades to unlock the upgrades you want. Its a logistical nightmare but bloody good for all that.
Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barking owl wrote:
My Spectrum wasnt the soft rubber key keyboard, but these big chunky plastic boys.

Aye, that would be the Speccy +. I did love the rubber keys, but the Speccy + keyboard was a vast improvement in practical terms. We had an original rubber keyed Speccy 48K that belonged to the whole family, but then I got a Speccy 128K for myself when they came out. The original ones had the same keyboard as the Speccy +, but then Amstrad came along and brought out the +2 and +3 (with built in tape deck and disk drive respectively) but they had really naff generic Amstrad style keyboards.

barking owl wrote:
Its funny how I could sit for ages trying to load in a game, tape screaming away in my lughole, with enough time to go make a cuppa, to come back and realise it didnt work, and to rewind and start all over again.

WEEEEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOOOP, WEEEEEEE OOOOOOOOP, BEEEEEEEEEEE

I could tell exactly when a game was about to finish loading from those weeees and oooooooos, now that was a skill today's kids will never have!

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reddragon70 wrote:
Gaz the closest thing I have seen to elite is probably Eve Online.

Ooh, I shall have to have a look. I've tried a few things like Jumpgate and some others that I forget the name of, but they just didn't compare.

barking owl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...amd now Im trying to download speccy games, but I cant get it to bloody work. Nothing changes really, does it? Smile
Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've never found a decent or reliable Speccy emulator for the PC.

Someone should get the whole shebang licensed and make a box that you can just plug into the TV and play any Speccy game you want - at 48K a pop you could fit every game ever made onto a modest sized memory card now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: