Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Robert Rankin Lookalikes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnyfrimley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Robert Rankin Lookalikes? Reply with quote

First post... long time fan... blah blah blah.... read all the books... blah blah blah... genius author...blah blah blah etc

I was in Farnborough (Hants) shopping centre on saturday. Had I realised that they were switching the Christmas lights on I would have picked another time to pick up my glasses from Specsavers, but there you go. Anyway, as I was heading towards the door I passed what must have been the dead spit of the great man himself, dressed all in black, and dragging some sort of box.

I have to say I was dumbstruck, or should that be awestruck? What on earth was the great man doing in a dump like Prince's Mead, and what was in that box?

So, was it Robert? And if so, what was in the box? Shrunken heads? A reinvented ocarina? A straw hat?
robertrankin

SproutMaster

Display Name: Robert Rankin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed it was me and I was dragging my wife's PA system and steelpan, as she was playing in the shopping centre before Santa switched the lights on. She has that gig every year and they even lay on sandwiches.
So, next time, say hello.
sunnyfrimley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! Next time I won't be so shy. I had my little nipper on my shoulders and we were in a hurry. I remember at the time thinking "Nah, it couldn't be".

I'm looking forward to your next book. Smile
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that whenever we see Robert in public, we should always go up and say...

"Has anyone ever told you, you look just like Robert Rankin?"

Grin

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
robertrankin

SproutMaster

Display Name: Robert Rankin
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only deny it. I spend most of my time dining out for free by pretending to be Terry Pratchett.
Captain Fantastic

Club Member
Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be the queens mead or the Kings mead? I used to live in Fleet and often braved Farnborough on a weekend shopping trip...

http://web.mac.com/icase Photos from events.
www.zombiecon.co.uk
sunnyfrimley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Princes Mead. If you haven't been to Farnborough recently (which is second only to Penge in terms of niceness) then you won't know about Princes Mead. It is a newish addition to the Royal Meads, on the opposite side of Queens Mead to where Kings Mead used to lie.

Yes, I said used to lie.

Farnborough is having a makeover.

Incidently, Princes Mead used to have a posh (ie expensive) pasty shop but that didn't last long. I noticed it was closed the other day, so had to make do with a Gregg's cheese and onion slice, which was ruddy horrible.

Um, anyway. Farnborough's makeover. Its about time. I grew up in Ash Vale and Camberley until I escaped to London in the late Eighties. I returned to the area a few years ago, and couldn't believe how little it had changed. Now, finally, they seem to be dragging it into the 21st century. But without decent pasties, which is a shame.
moose previous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decent pasty should be the basis for all urban regeneration.
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hemel isn't really known for pasty production either. But then again we seem to be about ten years behind the rest of civilisation. But on the plus side we do have a very special roundabout, really big rats near to a McDonalds (the first in the UK to go 24hrs before they realised the money gained between 3am and 5am wasn't actually all that much) and other such items of great excitement. On the downside the neandrethal proto-chavs that frequent said McDonalds and other such places are slowly mastering rudimentary tools.

Maybe we need a pasty production party?

Also - did anybody see the kerfluffle about the Cornish pasty a few years back when Devon laid claim to it?

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: