Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Banking frolics.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Banking frolics. Reply with quote

(Originally posted this in the wrong place, so if anybody caught that there, my apologies)

Well, I now know why Barclays doesn't seem to be having the same financial troubles as certain other places.

My sister is off travelling the world for a year or so. Along the way she went 24p overdrawn. She has asked for a copy of the statement relating to this.
This costs 5.
By going overdrawn she has entered her "personal reserve" - a special feature Barclays has now included on accounts as a default which they say is so that you don't miss making important payments and whatnot which would overwise bounce. The use of this costs her 22. If she's back within her normal limits within five days this is all she pays. Should she still be using this reserve after those five days another 22 fee will apply. Naturally, thanks to the speed of processing and the lag in getting things sorted etc she's been hit for several of them.
"Personal reserve" fees: 88.

Real cost of going overdrawn by 24p = 93.24.

Victory is Barclays. And a nice fact cheque to the man in charge if you please.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizla

Display Name: Lee
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is evil
im sure she could make a claim for unfair charges there though

Dr O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nat west are the same!

The day I got paid, a cheque cleared which would of put me 2 overdrawn but as this was the day I got paid I never went overdrawn. - They charged me 30 with threats of further charges.

This happened twice to me!

The only way I got my money back was to storm in to the branch, start raising my voice (not shouting) and carefully told them that if they would'nt refund me I would cause a scene. I got my money back!

Minxy Moos

Display Name: Amy
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable! The cheeky bastards!

Im with HSBC and so far they have been really good, iv gone overdrawn by as much as a few quid a number of times and so far havent been charged for it.

VictoriaJay

Display Name: Vix Johnston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky moo...

I'm with Halifax, oh well! tho i've had the same account since i started having money at all...

I get hit twice if i'm overdrawn, 28 for the privelage, then another 30 as a charge, and 30 if they have to clear a chq if it takes me into the red, I'm being paid weekly so i don't have to pay the extra 30+interest if i'm drawn for over 10 days... but when i was a student things were a little dicey. I made the mistlke of giving a friend a Chq for 50 for her 21st wich took me about 1.25 over and i wasn't due to get paid for a fortnight... 118+... was not happy, i did make a scene and got about half of it back, but still...

Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy Moos wrote:
Unbelievable! The cheeky bastards!

Im with HSBC and so far they have been really good, iv gone overdrawn by as much as a few quid a number of times and so far havent been charged for it.

Ssshh! They might be watching!

Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Banking frolics. Reply with quote

A Random Me wrote:
(Originally posted this in the wrong place, so if anybody caught that there, my apologies)

Well, I now know why Barclays doesn't seem to be having the same financial troubles as certain other places.

My sister is off travelling the world for a year or so. Along the way she went 24p overdrawn. She has asked for a copy of the statement relating to this.
This costs 5.
By going overdrawn she has entered her "personal reserve" - a special feature Barclays has now included on accounts as a default which they say is so that you don't miss making important payments and whatnot which would overwise bounce. The use of this costs her 22. If she's back within her normal limits within five days this is all she pays. Should she still be using this reserve after those five days another 22 fee will apply. Naturally, thanks to the speed of processing and the lag in getting things sorted etc she's been hit for several of them.
"Personal reserve" fees: 88.

Real cost of going overdrawn by 24p = 93.24.

Victory is Barclays. And a nice fact cheque to the man in charge if you please.
Try Martins money tips at MoneySavingExpert.com For free template letters: See the full step-by-step Bank Charges Reclaiming guide.
ttastev

Display Name: terry
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you say "banking"????? misspelt surely!!!!! Twisted Evil me,i'm all for throwing a few bankers and stockbrokers off the top of the gherkin!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
reddragon70

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadly this is how a lot of the banking industry has made its money of late. Rather than making money from lending morgages they are so in debt themselves that the morgage market isnt making them anything. Hence the trend to charge you just to have the honour of having an account with the leaching bastards.

I am now with the nationwide building society. I was with cahoot who were really good up til recently (taken over by Santander Group) and they went downhill rapidly. Nationwide are very good indeed as theyre a mutual society and dont have to account to share holders and of course they are one of the few banks not up to their armpits in debt themselves as all the money they make comes from loans and is put back into the account holders savings as interest. Great stuff.

Anyway... My advice is if your bank is charging you.... Vote with your feet and make damn sure when you leave ans they ask why to tell them this. "Because you are a bunch of rip off bastards, who have charged me a small fortune for shit service. So I am off somewhere that I will be valued and not seen as a cash cow to cover your debts"
Joe_Hunt

Display Name: Joe
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to recommend www.moneysavingexpert.com. I think Dr.Bob brought it to everyone's attention earlier on in the thread. In the last 2 years, if you add up all the money that my friends and I have reclaimed from the thieving banks with Martin's tips the total amount is more than 15000. I cannot recomment this guy highly enough.

Remember to add on interest for the money they owe you (there's a handy calculator on the site to help). The banks would (and do) charge you interest. These organisations have STOLEN YOUR MONEY. Don't listen to any of that guff that you're being told that all cases are on hold while the supreme courts (or the justice league, or whoever) decide whether the banks are thieving scumbags or not. Kick your feet enough and you'll get your money. A friend of mine took bailiffs into his bank to make sure he got his money back. They didn't have to take anything from the bank, the issue was resolved before that. Obviously that's a really simplified version of what happened - my mate had gone through months of court wrangling until the bank failed to show for the last hearing and he was awarded all his money. The bank then didn't give him his money so he called in the bailiffs. He got his money back pretty quick sharpish then.

GET YOUR MONEY BACK PEOPLE. You've sat there for hours cursing excel to earn that money, it's yours.
iamian

Display Name: Ian the Sarcastic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NatWest underpaid postage by 6p in sending me my atm card, and then I had to pay a further 1pound on top of that for handling charges!

Talk about bankrupting people. I could have bought not really any beer at all for that money.

Goddamn banks.
Toot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have bought a pint of Brains bitter in the Fox & Hounds in 1992 for that, if you had a time machine.
iamian

Display Name: Ian the Sarcastic
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, perhaps, if the time machine was only a couple of pence, or I could find the instructions somewhere. I'm sure I have one in my wardrobe..or a doorway to Narnia, one or the other.
Toot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could have bought a pint of dark for 1.01 instead, and used the remaining 5p for photocopying the instructions at the local newsagent's in case of loss or mishap.
See, this is why the banks went wrong, there's just a lack of proper planning.
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to raise 15000 in two weeks? I'm looking to the bank who kindly said get lost, bruised nose and arm out of socket experience that was. Apparently my employment description didn't fit their already tightened criteria for lending. I pointed out that I paid their wages now as a tax payer and therefore was entitled to be made an exception to from an already gargantuan set of impossible rules. They put it to me that as an employee of the Government, consequently a member of the Govt owned banking organisation thereof, I was part employee of the bank. The bank does not lend money to its employees who's funding and job description do not meet with the banks harsh employment financial criteria. At that point, I was told to piss off politely.
So, having impending redundancy looming, I wondered if there were any loan sharks i should know about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: