Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Lost - with a good book
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced by that. A lot of people can respect a point of view that isn't their own as long as you aren't intensely rude about how you think their opinion isn't correct.
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember getting very odd looks and the response, "You can't just believe things because they make you feel better." When I said you should just assume that God knows what he's doing because it makes life easier. Now, coming at it from the psych angle I had naturally assumed that many if not most believers did so precisely because it made them feel better. That response convinced me that I did not belong in a traditional religious studies department.
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see, I'd have thought all the people learning it at higher level would have purely been those interested in the subject rather than anyone of particular devotion. Then again, it might be a cultural difference between us and the US.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happened in Canada, during my year 'abroad' at McGill in Montreal. My college didn't have a proper religious studies department so everything I had taken before that point had been anthropology of religion. You have to realise that a number of the people in these programs are planning to go into the ministry. Some percentage will be just interested, but from my experience it will be a small one. The believers outnumber the non-believers handily.

Lisa, if you can find a program, anthropology of religion would be a much better fit for you. I found they matched my approach to the subject very well. I was actually going to pursue a double major in psychology and anthropology, but they didn't offer my mentor a tenure track position and she went to another school. The other professor with similar interests was no use to me so I gave it up.

COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the fault of the place of learning and the course itself that confuses the structure of religion with the belief in faith. I personally feel that Education should manage structure and culture, and those wishing to pursue a divine perspective should, ideally, enrol themselves into a ministry that suits their particular needs. Training for life is about constructing your four walls and building your bookshelves. When we leave education and pursue other life interests, thats when we start putting up pictures and buying the books. So for me religion is part of the the things we need to know about, like food. Faith is the bit we stick on our fork and taste.

GOD

Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't found any places that realy do whatI am looking for. I really need a distance learning thing as I can't afford to give up work. Plus it does cost a pretty penny to do anything like this!

I'm keeping on searching.

SamHayden

Display Name: Sam Hayden
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother is a Jehovah's Witness and I was raised to believe all that rubbish.
Not any more. To me most religions (especially Christianity) are for those that don't want to think for themselves and are quite happy being sheep.

This makes me dislike religion more since I am a Marxist and I believe in the true potential of the human race and I see religion as a hindering factor in our potential. Nobody ever discovered something new out of fear of going to hell, they did it by breaking the commonly held rules.

Most great discoveries or theories come from challenging the rules. Example: Einstein found that light had a mass and that time isn't constant. Totally dispelling Newton's theories and an example of what happens when you don't act according to the rules.

"Say 'Yes' more." ~ Unknown
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam

I'm in agreement with you on the Marxism front, but you aren't correct in your presumption that religion is a hinderence to the development of the human potential. We have to remember that the human psyche is so very different in each individual and fragile as well as strong. Whilst Marxism had purpose and a collective perspective, it lacks compassion and support for the human soul, which is not an ideal accompaniment to raising our levels of expectation and goals. Religion gives us choice, a lot of what we have is material choice, psychological choice is the greatest human right we can have, regardless of the choice we make. Faith can be good for some, terrible for others, but should remain as part of our freedom of expression, like to know what Marx's opinion on the Art of art was?
Enjoy your freedom to be a Marxist, a good choice to be honest, but remember to compassionate about other peoples choices to. Jehovah's Witness's, I know, can be very close minded.

GOD

Stacey

Display Name: Stacey
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe in God, it only encourages him! Very Happy
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh I should smite you with something really scary like a stick turning into snake, atleast I was original, oooooh and burn some bushes in the searing heat, to make you believe in me,

GOD

SamHayden

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this now, if I see semi-intelligent monkey with laser beam eyes, an interesting hairstyle and fantastic dance moves then I will convert to whatever religion anyone cares to mention.

"I don't believe in God, it only encourages him!"

LOL, great one!!

I think I have the ultimate reply if someone asks why you don't believe in god.
Simply remove your shoe and say nothing.
When they ask how that proves it. simply throw your shoe at them. Then say that if he was real he would have stopped me when he had the chance a few seconds ago. So if he is real then mustn't like you or your religion.
I think using that method on one person of every religion out there will reveal the one true religion (if there is one).

COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible to keep referring to God as a he though. No, please, no "women are better at being god because..." comments, I know. Why have faith in an invisible all encompassing force that supposedly guides our life within a set universe? Dunno, somebody did a great marketing job though.
We have faith in other things like our football teams, who let us down, in some cases often. Marxism, which in an ideal world would be nice, but currently unworkable due to human nature. So these aren't religious examples but ways in which we seek some form of optomistic view of the world. Fate is what people really believe in, the wish to have the dream come true, the lottery, will my boss leave or will she shag me tonight, all examples of faith in wish fulfilment. We put a name to God because we can blame it for the mistakes in the world. Secretly everybody knows its just fate we're wishing for. The good verses bad is separate issue involving human kindness or the lack of. Morals are put there as a guide, no more.
Religion is the capitalisation on all we disire, call me captain of the generalisation, but there it is, everybody wants a piece of the almighty pie to work in their favour, regardless of the name or religion, it is a faith in fate. Works for me. Do I babble on or do I babble on....weeee!

SamHayden

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think the Crazy Frog is proof that God doesn't exist.

I agree that luck is the only thing one can hope for. The problem is that some people claim that their luck is of a devine source.

As for God being a 'he'.
Well I'm not sure he is It does seem that every fourth book of the bible there is an example of his fiery wrath destroying stuff. Hmmm. My girlfriend gets a bit like that every four weeks or so.

God is a girl I think, how else could she have had an only son (Jebus). God is a single mother, as well as being a miserly landlord.

Revalationary don't you think?

COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual proof of a God's existence lies in the Higgs Boson Field. Look it up.

GOD

SamHayden

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You git. You made me look at physics.
I hate physics.
A physician when shown another subject immediately weeps and says "No, it can't be .... there is too much imagination."

Sorry, didn't understand a word of what Wikipedia had to say. Nor do I wish to.

They say it is elecrtro particles, I say it is magic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: