Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> Forum Admin & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deackie

Club Member
Display Name: Sarah
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: New posts, last post posted, etc. Reply with quote

Interesting to read what _should_ happen coz I don't find that it ever does for me. When I first log on, all threads with new posts are marked with a yellow whatsit, but once I've read one thread, all the yellow whatsits turn white again. Very confusing. The 'go to most recent' button (as already mentioned) doesn't take me to where I left off.

Then there was the whole forum disappearing for a few days.

But I'm starting to get used to this new set-up and all its quirks.

Also want to say a BIG thank you to the moderators and give each and everyone of them an east asian artistic hug type thing for being in the firing line. In Love Thumbs Up

lostcarpark

Site Admin
Display Name: James Shields
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed the unread threads thing disappearing from time to time. I thnk it might be bacause the forum uses PHP's session management, and my webhost have set the session timeout too low, causing it to forget. If you don't tick the "log in automatically" it seems to randomly log you out too.

The diasppearing forum was apparently because we were using too many database connections on the server. I think as forums go we're pretty small, so I'm not sure waht was going on there.

I'm shinking of upping and moving to a different host. I look after about a dozen sites, so I'm considering a virtual server type plan, where I would have a partitioned off section of a server running my own copy of Linux so I would be isolated from what anyone else's php scripts or database was doing.

If anyone has good or bad experience with webhosts, I'm keen to hear it.

Lee

Display Name: Lee Noble
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Designer Servers (DSVR). I honestly can't say how they compare to other providers as I inherited the account from my previous employer when I got made redundant two years ago. I've never had any problems with them. I've got a 300Mb server which costs 300 or so a year. Actually I think they just doubled all the server sizes. There is full access through ssh, it has PHP MySQL and a bunch of other stuff already installed although I'm not sure if/how you would go about adding your own installation. They do have a tiny server option (20Mb I think) which may or may not be free which you could use separately but I think the config options are cut down for that option.
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like computer. It have pictures. It nice. People pictures on computer. Talkings. Nice.

That is my discourse on said subject. But I could ask Pete as he is a geek that understands your mad ravings with letters like SSL involved.

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send him forth. We haven't seen him on the new forum.

Meaning, continue to talkings on computer.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> Forum Admin & Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: