Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
BRICKLAYERS ARMS UP FOR SALE!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nugget

Display Name: nugget
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: BRICKLAYERS ARMS UP FOR SALE!! Reply with quote

I live in Brentford AND am a huge Rankin fan. I was driving down the Ealing Road, when to my horror I saw there was an 'up for auction' sign above the Bricklayers Arms........is this really true? I know it's been closed for a while, but I thought it was just for redecorating or something. The thought of some developer getting their hands on it and turning it into something other than the Bricklayers Arms is horrible!!

Anyone got some info on this? Or even better, anyone got half a million to buy it and keep it as a legacy? (I'm reading Nostradamus ate my hamster at the mo' hence the desire to keep that pub the way it is - or a Rankin themed pub?). If there are other posts here about it, please let me know as I'd like a read (not been able to find any).

Here's a link to a site that mentions it, but that's all I could find so far:
http://www.rhcamra.org.uk/branchnews.html

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
talie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone somewhere must have a plan Smile

Here's hoping for a lottery win Smile

Boggwoppit

Club Member

Display Name: Hugh Morris
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some one should buy this pub and rename it the Robert Rankin. Decour wise i'm thinking black velvet walpaper with embossed swans (flying of course) and the smallest snug in the world just big enough for Robert, a pint of large and his notebook. It would be like a smal confessional where you could knock on the door hand him a pint, place a bet and confess your sins which he would of course note down for publicatioon in a later book, or just for blackmail purposes.
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: BRICKLAYERS ARMS UP FOR SALE!! Reply with quote

nugget wrote:
hence the desire to keep that pub the way it is

Well given that it was a bit of a shithole last time I saw it, I can't say that keeping it the was it is would do anyone any good.

I would *love* someone to buy it and turn it into a decent pub, worthy of its name & associated Rankinesque history.

If money was no object I would buy it, leave the name as it is, but do it out in all velvet 'n' brass, with real beer (maybe even commission Fullers to start making Large), and then just bask in the glory of it... Smile

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggwoppit wrote:
Some one should buy this pub and rename it the Robert Rankin. Decour wise i'm thinking black velvet walpaper with embossed swans (flying of course) and the smallest snug in the world just big enough for Robert, a pint of large and his notebook. It would be like a smal confessional where you could knock on the door hand him a pint, place a bet and confess your sins which he would of course note down for publicatioon in a later book, or just for blackmail purposes.
No! I think you had better make it enough for two just in case he thinks he is in hiscell. Wink
Never the less a good idea Idea and we could charge money for peeps to watch an Author at work. Very Happy

Last edited by Dr.Bob on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Loz

Display Name: Loz McGregor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr.Bob wrote:
No! I think you had better make it enough for two just in case he thinks he is in himcell. Wink
Never the less a good idea Idea and we could charge money for peeps to watch an Author at work. Very Happy

I'd be worried about the disturbance issues if people sat too close. What you need is some kind of 'nest-cam' like this one, so that people can watch from a distance! Wink
Boggwoppit

Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have replces the Osprey with a Griffin. We could start the hunt all over again.

We could place Robert in one of those Boothes you have to put a coin in like one of those o what are they called EH HEM (whispers) peep show boothes. 1:50 a peek and your money back if he's naked. Laughing
Psychonaut

Location: At the dragonheaded prow of a longboat heading your way!
Display Name: Psychonaut
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only we were all well off enough to club together and buy it and rename it The Flying Swan.
Boggwoppit

Club Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to own a pub though it would be more like the pub with no name. I like the idea of changing the name whenever i fancied and would have to replace the normal pub sign with an LCD one. Gaz (TINTO) would of course be on hand to make the afternoon cocktails and of course the best beers and nuts from around the world.
juliogeordio

Display Name: Bryan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed by the other day, most surprised to see the Bricklayers Arms (THE FLYING SWAN) is still shut but there appears to be some work being done. Anyone have any updates as to what is happening?
robertrankin

SproutMaster

Display Name: Robert Rankin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few years successive landlords have beaten the place to death and torn out its soul, to such an extent that I have now disowned it. Part of the January celebrations in Brentford will be the official recognition (with a special framed picture/proclaimation jobbie) of the Magpie and Crown in Brentford High Street being officially recognised as The Flying Swan.
I based the interior, but not the location, on this particular pub. The Brick is dead but long live the Swan.
Dr O

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm (im on coffee number 9 and my mind is working over time)

If the brick is dead that means the brick must have been alive! What sort of life is a bricks life? must be really boring! Is half a brick leading a double life or does it only last half as long? What sort of job would a brick have? how would it pro-create?

mmm coffee number 10

I can see pink dots................................and their talking to me

Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All hail The Magpie and Crown Cool
Stacey

Display Name: Stacey
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vague memory of this pub, I remember having beer in my hand and someone loudly proclaiming we had 3 minutes to drink it then someone else shouting "slackers" and thats about all I remember of the entire evening cept for some blaaaaaaddddy southerner trying to sell me to an American for camels, same guy made off with me sister. I think he was in The Rocky Horror Show too. EEEEEEEEEEhhhhh as they say up here like, you couldn't make this shite up!
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we go in the Magpie & Crown during BrentCon? Like you Stace all the pubs have kinda merged into one in my drunken head, apart from the Bricklayers coz we were back there on the Sunday.

Interesting how that southerner tried to sell you, yet chose to keep your sister for himself huh? Maybe your sister isn't worth enough camels to make it worth the bother..... yep, that must be it! Wink

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: