Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
This Forum Is Lopsided!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> Forum Admin & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(signed off forever)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: This Forum Is Lopsided! Reply with quote

Has everybody read "Puckoon"? If not, the relevant bit concerns a pub through which, due to a terrible administrative error, the border between Northern and Southern Ireland runs. Therefore the whole place is deserted, apart from a seething scrum in the one tiny corner which is in Eire where the drinks are cheaper.

This forum is very similar. It's got lots and lots of categories, but only one of them is especially popular, so it's just like the old one where you end up with a vast list of posts about completely random topics, each containing endless entries which tend to go off topic very quickly. Which can get a bit annoying.

Could I suggest that maybe the Toot Pit could be subdivided a bit? I reckon it needs at least 3 sections. Firstly, a "deep end" (Chewing Fat, maybe?) where people can discuss topics of general interest, not necessarily club-related, fairly seriously. For example, the "legal recognition of Odinism" strand would go here, as would a serious opinion of a new book, movie, TV show, or whatever (as opposed to endless lists of puns about the title, or very short but not terribly articulate posts to the effect that you think it's fab).

Then you could have actual "Toot", which I've always understood to involve some element of creativity. This section would contain stuff which somebody had just made up, or irrelevant facts which struck you as amusing, or whatever. For example, the "fake sprout religion" strand would go here, as would other things which might possibly interest people who don't know you personally.

Then you could have an actual "Chat Room" - chat being distinct from toot, in that this is where you post information which is basically for your pals. For example, if somebody called Daz has moved to Norwich or had a baby or knitted a sweater, it is only of interest to me if I have a pretty good idea who Daz is. This could also be the place for those very long threads which pop up constantly and have basically no content at all, in particular "I'm just posting this post to say that I've posted lots and lots of posts..."

Does this strike the masses as a good idea?
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own personal point of view, as a user rather than a moderator, is that 1 "general" section is enough. I think that trying to impose a structure on "toot" would be very difficult to manage. I don't think the more "creative" threads such as the Odinism or Sproutism threads suffer at all from being surrounded by threads of funny site links or general chatter - on the contrary I think that by splitting these off into seperate sections could even kill the creativity as less people would stumble across them in their daily readings. Too many sections can completely kill a forum, as it becomes impossible to keep up with.

What I would be in favour of however, wouls be additional sections for other semi-serious but non-Rankin topics, such as book / film / TV reviews, and maybe even original creative writing / poetry. Actually, maybe this last section, if it covered original stories, poems, and articles, could pretty much fit what you're describing?

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But toot isn't toot if it is filed away like a librarians knickers!
Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
My own personal point of view, as a user rather than a moderator, is that 1 "general" section is enough. I think that trying to impose a structure on "toot" would be very difficult to manage. I don't think the more "creative" threads such as the Odinism or Sproutism threads suffer at all from being surrounded by threads of funny site links or general chatter - on the contrary I think that by splitting these off into seperate sections could even kill the creativity as less people would stumble across them in their daily readings. Too many sections can completely kill a forum, as it becomes impossible to keep up with.

What I would be in favour of however, wouls be additional sections for other semi-serious but non-Rankin topics, such as book / film / TV reviews, and maybe even original creative writing / poetry. Actually, maybe this last section, if it covered original stories, poems, and articles, could pretty much fit what you're describing?

I concur Thumbs Up

Lady Clara wrote:

Can we ask Janet to confirm whether or not librarians do, in fact, file away their knickers? Grin

Site Admin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, I'd like to add that I suspect at least one of the reasons for the current "lopsidedness" of the forum is due to its newness. i.e. currently, all its denizens are from the old forum, and they've probably already mostly exhausted all the Rankin related stuff they want to talk about. Hopefully, in the fullness of time, newbies will arrive to populate the other sections, and the old-hands can assist them out with helpful answers to their probing questions; also new events and new books will also appear that will encourage more Rankin related discussion etc.
Smile

[edit: blimey. I just had to get rid of three cases of apostrophe abuse in this message! Must be having a bad day Sad]

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Clara wrote:

Maybe Janet and Stace would like t comment on this? Do you file your knickers by colour, style, use or do you dewey code them all on returning home from the librarian knicker shop?

niven 101

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are filed in there respective days of the week(standard library girl uniform dictates that they must wear white ,days of the week pants) and have skid mark subsections(i.e. from lightly tainted to heavily soiled)

or so im led to believe.ive not been going through anybodys panty files honest Embarassed

Jumbo

Site Admin
Display Name: James Bacon
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puckoon is a fantastic book, really quite hilarious.

I would defer to the mods on that.

The forum is young and we have set it in a way that it will offer a structure going forward, memebers have just got their recent issues, and I hope people will pop by and join as they see fit.

J

lostcarpark

Site Admin
Display Name: James Shields
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always knew that the majority of posts would go in the SpoutMore section, and we have no problem with that.

Adding a couple of extra categories wouldn't be hard, but it's hard to know if it would make things easier for everyone, or just make more work for the moderaters moving things into the proper forums.

Speaking of which, this probably should be in the Admin & Support forum.

Timmeh!

Site Admin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcarpark wrote:

Speaking of which, this probably should be in the Admin & Support forum.

And now it is. Smile

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not actually file my knickers. Pile is considerably more accurate and I'm sorry, but I am not going to poll all the other librarians here to find out their knicker filing practices.

To bring this slightly on topic, I do like the idea of a book/movie review section. I will even promise to contribute a review of the new Christopher Moore book once I've read it.

swineherd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone but me feel all icky when thinking about "dewey knickers"?
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, lets remove all the other sections of the forum, except admin and support, and see what happens. Nothing, we'll still post on Spoutmore and go off topic, what were we worrying about a month ago? Including me.

Moderators shouldn't move stuff like this, its great, its toot.

Ah

Dewey Knickers eh...I think we're fantasizing somewhat...well I am!

GOD

Stacey

Display Name: Stacey
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think everyone should lay off the blummin Mods, most of us are brand new at this and all we are trying to do is make this place more accessible to people who are new to the forum and/or Sproutlore. If people need to ask questions there is now an area they can do that without getting involved in all the chit chat if thats what they want. We are trying to provide a best of both worlds scenario and people sniping at us and about us is really really unhelpful.

God, yes the regular users wouldn't notice much difference but that is a selfish and insular attitude.

The boys have put so much work into this forum I think you all want to have a hard look at your attitudes.
Snow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,said well.
I like this words" I also think everyone should lay off the blummin Mods, most of us are brand new at this and all we are trying to do is make this place more accessible to people who are new to the forum and/or Sproutlore. If people need to ask questions there is now an area they can do that without getting involved in all the chit chat if thats what they want. We are trying to provide a best of both worlds scenario and people sniping at us and about us is really really unhelpful. " Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> Forum Admin & Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: