Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Happy St Georges Day!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourpints

Club Member
Display Name: Fourpints
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Happy St Georges Day! Reply with quote

Beer on, let us celebrate St. Georges day in the same way we do St. Paddys day.
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm....let's not give the BNP any more reason to celebrate than the news this week gave them.
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going out drinking in spite of that... I didn't even know it was St George's today anywho
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come if the English celebrate Saint Georges day we're being rascist but the Welsh / Scotish / Irish are all proud to celebrate their Saints and no body sees anything wrong with that? What is wrong with you mad English fools?!

The man killed a dragon! Come on show him a little respect and get drunk on his behalf Smile

Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Clara wrote:
How come if the English celebrate Saint Georges day we're being rascist but the Welsh / Scotish / Irish are all proud to celebrate their Saints and no body sees anything wrong with that? What is wrong with you mad English fools?!

The man killed a dragon! Come on show him a little respect and get drunk on his behalf Smile

lol at the last bit. I totally see your point though, but there appears to be that element of people, ie the BNP sorts as Lisa pointed out, that give everyone terrible connotations of Britain, and on days like this, England. Its not really a fair way of looking at it since they are in the minority, but its the way it is massively perceived.

Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Clara wrote:

The problem here is not that there's anything inherently racist in being patriotic, it's just that those scumsucking bastards in the NF and BNP have appropriated the cross of St George and the Union Flag for their own ends. Anyone else remember gangs of skinheads with the one flag or the other painted on the steel toecaps of their DMs especially for kicking in the faces of the objects of their hatred? They also had/have a habit of using St George's day for their rallies.

The reason we are reticent about celebrating Englishness is borne of not wanting to be associated with racist idiots, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate, just that we have to be a bit careful how we do it and who we end up doing it with.

Incidentally one possible interpretation of the The St George vs the dragon tale is an allegory for Christianity conquering paganism. In fact in many versions, the village he "rescues" from the their "dragon" deity immediately convert to christianity out of gratitude. Other versions of course, say it's a pre-christian story and that George was originally a pagan god (probably mesopotamian, they usually are) who conquered some evil spirit or other, and that the early christians (in their usual style) nicked it and changed the names.

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall he's also patron saint of a whole lot of other places. Just as an aside.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh! wrote:

Incidentally one possible interpretation of the The St George vs the dragon tale is an allegory for Christianity conquering paganism. In fact in many versions, the village he "rescues" from the their "dragon" deity immediately convert to christianity out of gratitude. Other versions of course, say it's a pre-christian story and that George was originally a pagan god (probably mesopotamian, they usually are) who conquered some evil spirit or other, and that the early christians (in their usual style) nicked it and changed the names.

Typical idiots spoiling all the fun for the rest of us.

Killing a dragon sounds more impressive than falling for Pagans who tricked him into believing they were believing what he wanted them to believe.

fourpints

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/
Lisa WTS-Collins

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgie is the patron of Portugal, Germany, Aragon, Venice, Barcelona, Genoa and never actually made it as far as England even though we claim him!

He never slayed a dragon (that was St. Michael) he tamed one in Libya which followed him everywhere like a dog.

He was a Roman and his cranial bones are in a church in Rome.

fourpints

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll drink to that!
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa WTS-Collins wrote:
Georgie is the patron of Portugal, Germany, Aragon, Venice, Barcelona, Genoa and never actually made it as far as England even though we claim him!

He never slayed a dragon (that was St. Michael) he tamed one in Libya which followed him everywhere like a dog.

He was a Roman and his cranial bones are in a church in Rome.

St.Patrick was born in Scotland
St.David was born in Wales
and our St.Andrew was one of the 12 disciples whose bones were washed up on the Fife coast carried by St.Rule (that is where the Saltire flag comes from)the St.Andrews Cross.he was crucified in Greece
He is also the patron saint of Romina,Greece & Russia
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Georgie is the patron of Portugal, Germany, Aragon, Venice, Barcelona, Genoa and never actually made it as far as England even though we claim him!
> He is also the patron saint of Romina,Greece & Russia

I thought it was Moscow specifically? I know they've a few statues to do with him there. Plus Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, and was it Palestine and Istanbul I recall hearing bandied to his name too?

He's second to St Mark for Venice, but still there.

Saints, there's one for everything.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deackie

Club Member
Display Name: Sarah
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I celebrated St George's Day (as usual) in a non-BNP very traditional way by wearing silly clothes and dancing in the rain outside pubs in small villages.

Interestingly there is a character called King George (sometimes St George) in the Mummers plays, he wears a red cross and mentions killing a dragon. The plays also include Father Christmas in his more traditional guise rather than the modern Santa. They're rather a nice mix of Christian and pagan tradition. After all, pagan literally meant someone from the countryside, and that's exactly where these plays came from.

Am betting that those fascists who spout racist crap about what it is to be English have no idea about their culture or traditions. I've actually found that by learning more about my cultural heritage I've got more in common with my friends from different cultural backgrounds, we can appreciate each others traditions and customs.

Rant over. That's it for the next 12 months - promise.

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 months? Surely not? Wat will persuade us to better educate ourselves without somebody ranting about something? Rant away, rant away.

Otherwise we'd have to rely on snippets of information of the "Did you know that...?" ilk.

Edit:
Thinking about it, inspired rants are probably amongst my top three sources of information, above newspapers and the like, but below internet news and infobooks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: