Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Forum Posting Guidelines

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutLaw
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jumbo

Site Admin
Display Name: James Bacon
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Forum Posting Guidelines Reply with quote

General Posting Guidelines for the Sproutlore Forum:

1. Learn Netiquette (that's ettiquette for the net for the slow ones among you Wink)
A reasonable guide to general netiquette is available here. some more specific rules pertinent to this forum are given below.

2. Be on topic.
When starting a post in a particular area. e.g. posts in the "SproutMaster" section should be at least tenuously Rankin related. While it's not unusual for threads to drift off topic, you should at least start them with the correct intent else they will be moved to a more appropriate area of the forum, or in extreme cases, deleted. If a given thread in the SproutLaw, SproutMaster or SproutJaw section inspires you to talk of something completely unrelated to Rankin, the club or its events, please create a separate thread in the SpoutMore section to do so. The moderators reserve the right to split threads into these sections in order to preserve some semblance of order in them.

3. Use the smileys.
Emoticons were invented because it is often (if not always) difficult to gauge tone of voice from the written word. e.g. If you are making a joke, use the Wink or Grin smileys . Do not assume that others will understand it's a gag, and then get offended when they take you seriously, if you have not used them. However, writing a long spiel of abuse and then putting a Wink at the end is also unlikely to wash.

4. Use correct spelling, grammar and punctuation where possible.
The odd typo or spelling error is obviously nothing to worry about, but persistent abuse of the English language will not only annoy the moderators, but also make it difficult for everyone to grasp the real intent of your message. The bottom line is, if you want to be understood, make it understandable. Even such things as inappropriate use of apostrophe's (like that one), or not understanding the difference between your and you're can make your messages ambiguous, and thus open to misinterpretation. Plus you'll look like an idiot Wink. If anyone really is unsure about any of the above, or what an ellipsis (...) is for, then I'll be happy to explain it to you in simple terms using only words of two syllables or less. Wink

5. Be Nice.
Do not become embroiled in personal slanging matches, or deliberately provoke other people into arguments. Remember that when you, or anyone else, express an opinion, it is exactly that, and others may have a different one. Particularly try not to indulge in potentially libellous discussions.

6. Potentially offensive pictures/links.
This one is serious, and repeated violation will cause you to be banned from the forum. When posting a picture on the forum, bear the following in mind. Many of our members access the forum from work. Pretend for a moment that you are a responsible citizen with a respectable job, and that your boss happened to be walking past just as that picture of young lady in an (ahem) compromising situation appears on screen. So, if it is potentially dodgy, post it as a link rather than an embedded image, and put a nice obvious [not work-safe link] marker next to it in red.

7. Some Commonly Used Abbreviations
Here a few of the more common abbreviations in use on the net.
AFAIK - As Far As I Know
ATM - At The Moment
BTW - By The Way
FYI - For Your Information
IANAL - I Am Not A Lawyer (used to indicate that the writer is by no means an expert in the given field, usually followed by ", but my considered opinion is...")
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
IMO - In My Opinion
LOL - Laughs Out Loud
OMG - Oh My God
OTOH - On The Other Hand
ROFL - Rolls On Floor Laughing
ROFLMAO - Rolls On Floor Laughing My Ass Off

8. Images in Signatures.
If there's a few posts by the same person on a thread and they have a large sig, it tends to dominate a bit, and animated ones can be annoying/distracting. So, the maximum height for a signature shall be: three lines of text or an image of 30 pixels. Also, if an image is present, no additional text should be placed on a separate line. Images in signatures shall be no more than 50k, shall not be animated, nor shall they contain nudity of any kind..

9. Avatars.
Avatars shall not be animated, nor shall they contain nudity of any kind.

Each individual section also has guidelines.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutLaw All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: