Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Does Terry Gilliam owe anyone money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I agree with Stacey on this.

The seperate sections came about mainly as a result of feedback from Sproutlore members who had *never* posted on the old forum, simply because they found the Rankin related stuff they wanted to talk about got swamped in general chat.

This in turn lead to the same questions and topics being raised again and again, hence the sticky topics for various frequently covered subjects.

I really can't see that having a few extra areas for specific topics can have driven anyone away - the general chat section is still by far the heaviest used.

Anyway, if you want to be really objective about it - this forum is supposed to be for *all* Sproutlore members, not just the "hardcore" posters from the old forum. If some of the old crowd don't like the new setup, that's a real shame, but that's the way it is. Sorry if that sounds a little blunt - I'm as disappointed as anyone that Talie and Niv haven't been around much (or at all), but at the end of the day we want the forum to be much more a part of the fan club than it was in the past, so it must evolve and appeal to a broader range of people.

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
COD

Club Member
Display Name: Paul
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I be a moderator? Please please please. I liked the old forum...watch me get booed off the stage.
Basically, nobody likes to wander off into a different forum for two reasons, firstly, they might miss something, and more importantly, others of a similar ilk might not catch what they've written on a lonely thread out there, gatherin dust, thats what I believe. We like the comfort the one forum offers, where everybody gets to see everybody else and feel good. You wouldn't go to a party and chat about work in the living room whilst everyones outside having a bar-be-cue talking toot, cos work talk develops into toot. At what point does a topic really go off topic, or eveolve into to something a moderator decides belongs somewhere elses, its all a bit subjective.

Anyway, feel free to reply, or move this. Laughing

thingummy

raffles rathbone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're missing the point folks. Does he owe anybody any bleedin money? Keith Chegwin owes me three quid, but thats not even geting a feckin home movie done now is it.

As for the forum gripes why don't you all jump on MSN, AIM or YIM and have a jolly good chitty chatty (or send postcards of the gasometers in brentford)

raffles rathbone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh btw, if this subject is hit on so much , why not just create a new forum and split it into catergories, book into film, actors to play characters and so on and suchlike (japaneasy).
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I liked the old forum...watch me get booed off the stage.

I liked the old forum too.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Clara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffles rathbone wrote:
I think we're missing the point folks. Does he owe anybody any bleedin money

I've got an IOU note bluetacked to the fridge, but I can't remember who from. Might be him.

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if we kidnapped Michael Palin and would only release him after Gilliam does the film?

Deackie, does your cupboard have enough space for former Pythons too?

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."

Last edited by A Random Me on Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raffles rathbone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry random, Iv'e not had the pleasure of the old forums m8. Although you will have to explain what the difference was, then I may have a better idea what the big deal is(was it the members, look, gui,lack of posters, deluge of posters and things of that nature).

Feeling confused, but I get that way about Corn Flakes or Coco Pops.(doesn't everyone)

Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffles rathbone wrote:
Oh btw, if this subject is hit on so much , why not just create a new forum and split it into catergories, book into film, actors to play characters and so on and suchlike (japaneasy).

We have threads for this discussion (rankin movie actors), so, in fairness to mods and the reason that thread , thats what it should be used for. I see what you mean, but it'll get a bit complicated that way Smile And I'm a simple-minded person

raffles rathbone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No m8 you've got 4 forum topics, and to be fair to casual passer by that ain't a lot. Get together and agree amongst yourselves how best you need to run yer forums. I've built and ran a lot of PHP sites running Phbb2 message boards( mainly for clan sites I had built) and the forums you're running is not enough, moreover you should really think of upgrading to phbb2(security and all that mularky, for those who are concerned)

I really am not getting to grips with the gripes with this forum, seems a bit pedestrian to what I'm used to but hay what the hay.

cheers me dears

A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Sorry random, Iv'e not had the pleasure of the old forums m8.

They're archived here. I liked them, as did a lot of people. That said I've no real issues with this one.

> I really am not getting to grips with the gripes with this forum, seems a bit pedestrian to what I'm used to but hay what the hay.

I don't think it's so much gripe as all that - just a change and that we seem to have lost a lot afterwards in terms of members/atmosphere/whatever it is people are saying about. I moderate on another forum using similar stuff, but there's a style difference.

COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Terry Gilliam should do a movie thats based around a a bunch of freedom fighters in the 21st Century, fighting to maintain their web forum stability. The baddies would be the the 'Moderators' with slick guns and skin tight uniforms, they would persue a wrong line of topic and eliminate the 'poster'. Would be hilarious.
Of course, he could definately owe me money for that idea.

thingummy

raffles rathbone

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmsl , I think you may have hit upon an idea there, If Gilliam doesn't get the backing from hollywood , we'll march on bollywood. Although we'd probably have replace the slick guns with finger cymbals and dangly bangles and Long Churidar Kurta's. If anyone else has a genre for this battle of the behemoths, then "we really wanna see those fingers" Laughing
COD

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actaully a sepia toned swiss version of the film, utterly silent except for annoying violin music and incredible contrast with oblique shadowing, should really get Gilliam the Palm D'or he deserves. I dunno, maybe a few tree strewn woods at night thrown in for good measure.

thingummy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: