Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
why did you start reading robert's books??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkey

Display Name: stewart
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first was chocalate bunnies saw it in a charity shop and judged it by its cover. best thing i ever did have to say i feel like a poor relation all my rankins are paper back as a grease monkey by nature they tend to get in bad shape very quickly Wink
also a big tp fan and tp came first
foxforcefive

Display Name: Heather
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 years ago an ex boyfriend lent me the Brentford Trilogy which then was 5 books. I ditched the boyfriend but kept his books! I was completely hooked and have bought every single one since. Very Happy
stu(pid)

Display Name: stuart
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend at work kept giggling i asked what at the next day he chucked antipope at me i went out that weekend and bought the lot. that was about 10 years ago now and i haven't stopped laughing since.
monkeybelly

Display Name: Kate
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around 10 years ago my now bestest bud and I found that we shared the same worryingly disturbed sense of humour, and she recommended the man himself to me as someone I'd probably enjoy. Dance of the Voodoo handbag was my first and I was quickly addicted. My friend and I have been baffling people with our incessant quoting ever since.
talie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
I was also a big TP fan at the time - it was sometime in 1996/97 and I was stuck in Gatwick airport for 3 hours on the way back from a business trip having missed my connecting flight home. I was in WHSmiths and couldn't find any TP books I didn't already have, and right next to the TP selection was about 3 or 4 RR books - the one that jumped out at me because of the title was Armageddon The Musical. I also recall seeing the quote from TP on one of them as Tim mentioned. So I bought Armageddon and read half of it before I got back home. Still my favourite book!

Identical except it was Smiths at The Fort in Brum and prefer the Brentford ones.

Lord Bungle

Display Name: Bungle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a young sprout I was draged along to the newly opened Watermans Art Centre by my dad, There was some poet doing a club there, about 5 people had turned up, poetry and pints I think it was called, Questions were raised about the reading of poems and the drinking of free pints, But there was a glass cabinet by the main doors full of these books by some unknown local bloke called Robert Rankin at the cost of 1.50 or something daft (this was in earlyish 80's last century) and as I had to listen to poetry I grumbled and growned and made other such noises a pubesent boy does make until my dad got me a copy, I still have it The Antipope its falling apart that badly I have to keep it in a plastic bag. I have since managed to buy every one that has come out since (including sleeping with an ugly checkout girl from waterstones in putney so I could get copies early, and with staff discount). I have now grown up (well got older) and serve behind the bar in the Magpie and Crown as a part time full time Barman. And to quote that other son of Brentford Nick Lowe "When your born in Brentford, this is as about as good as it gets."
The Scouse One

Display Name: Darren
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Bungle, have you attended any of the Brentford events? Post some pics as I'd like to know if you've tried to serve me some real ale, instead of my usual gnats piss lager in the Magpie Laughing (by the way, i didn't steal the glasses, it was Andi Wink
Lord Bungle

Display Name: Bungle
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scouse One wrote:
Lord Bungle, have you attended any of the Brentford events? Post some pics as I'd like to know if you've tried to serve me some real ale, instead of my usual gnats piss lager in the Magpie Laughing (by the way, i didn't steal the glasses, it was Andi Wink

I have managed not to work on the events in the magpie so I may not have served to many people. and as for pics the holding of photgraphic equipment gets in the way of the holding of drinking equipment. But I do beleave some people have taken pics, I know for sure there are a few of Robert getting shown the art of pulling a pint by me.

And as for gnats piss lager yes we do sell forrrrrr forrrrrr forrrrrr that stuff that starts with an F but we allso sell what I prefer to term real larger, stuff that has being lagered (The name lager comes from the German lagern for "to store", as brewers around Bavaria stored beer in cool cellars and caves during the warm summer months. These brewers noticed that the beers continued to ferment, and to also clear of sediment, when stored in cool conditions.) none of this brewed on best before a few weeks later american rubish.

glasses going missing, if I had a pound for every time the glasses went missing I would have my own pub freehold Laughing

sunnyfrimley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first was a second hand copy of Armageddon in 1991. I was initially put off by the cover but somebody assured me it was hilarious.

It was.
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunnyfrimley wrote:
My first was a second hand copy of Armageddon in 1991. I was initially put off by the cover but somebody assured me it was hilarious.

It was.
If that was your 1st 2nd hand how many did you have. Drunk Question
sunnyfrimley

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of four, however, the second onwards were all first hand.

Hope that clears things up.
nursewhen

Display Name: Helen
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many years ago, I read 'The Book of Ultimate Truths'. At the time I thought it was rather bizarre but entertaining. Years on, I found I kept harping back to it but by then I'd forgotten the author's name and remembered it as being called 'The Magic Ocarina'.

Oddly enough, I particularly remember a running gag where Hitler had been cloned and throughout the book there were updates on his war crimes trial and he was finally given about 4 days community service. Yet when I read the book again recently, that scenario wasn't in it. Can somebody help me here, have I confused 2 books or have I just emerged from another dimension?

About a year ago, I read 'Nostradamus ate my hamster'. I did enjoy it, but didn't have a clue what was going on in that pub in the first chapter, nor why it turned up again later. However, Doctor When was impressed with the flugelrad since then, as now, the best way to get his unidivided attention is to shout 'Ooh look, a Tesla coil!'

Next was the Brightonomnicon which I thought was brilliant except that I didn't have a clue what was going on at the end.

Next I got the Witches of Chiswick as a talking book from the library as we were going on a long car journey and 6 hours of Doctor When's drum and bass tends to have me climbing the upholstery. This one has to be one of my favourites and Doctor when loved the steam punk angle.

This is where I started to get the hang of this perambulation lark. They all have repeating characters and memes and have a cumulative effect. The more one reads, the more one understands. I had now entered the world of straw hats, polka dot handkerchiefs and pugnacious bargees.

Then I went into overdrive and started reading more than one at a time which was a bad idea since the same character can be 'real' in one book and 'fictional' in the next and I started to get very confused.

At some point in the ensuing muddle, I read the 'Antipope' and the name Pooley suddenly rang a bell which had me back in the library re-reading the last chapter of the 'Brightonomnicon' and first chapter of Nostradamus.

I have finally emerged with my head spinnning and my reading has been slowed because I now have to get the books on interlibrary loans which is probably a good thing.

What I appreciate most is the research behind the books. The Glastonbury zodiac, the history of tritones, vortices and voices from hell. Not to mention the air Loom which I've now found that somebody has actually built!

Why do we need fiction? The world is an utterly bizarre place already.

Scottv

Display Name: Scott
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one I came across was The Toyminator in my local library sometime last year, which I saw and loved the cover, so I took it home. I have about ten or eleven of the Sproutmaster's books now and would acquire more, but my local shops have been drained of Rankins that I haven't read. (Funnily enough, still haven't bought the Toyminator)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: