Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Would YOU recommend this book???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Would YOU recommend this book??? Reply with quote

Just casting the net for a new author or two, now that the Crimbo books are finished... saw a good review of this, am intrigued by the title, but wondered if anyone here had read it?:

"The Day Jesus Rode Into Croydon" by Daryl Gould

Any other suggestions (for books) completely welcome...
Very Happy

The Scouse One

Display Name: Darren
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not read that Matt, mind you, I'm stuck with reading whatever cast offs my Dad gives me which are usually Clive Cussler or some other such adventure stoires Crying or Very sad
talie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Book Thief..forget author
Any of Phil Rickman's
Constantinople The Last Great Seige 1453 - Roger Crowley
Someplace to be Flying or The Onion Girl - Charles de Lint
Tom Holland Vampire books, The Vampyre, Supping with Panthers, Lord of the Dead (might be US version if the Vampyre - it's the one about Lord Byron)

I forget others Smile

monkey

Display Name: stewart
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

need i say it terry pratchett, david drake, jasper fraud oops i mean fforde and my personal second fave harry harrison
nursewhen

Display Name: Helen
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed 'Only Forward' by Michael Marshall Smith.

Dark, funny, horror, dream. It's got the lot.

'Spares' was very good too but even darker and not so funny.

Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll probably peruse a few of these this weekend in my friendly neighbourhood independent bookshop...
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2009/02/ultimate-guide-to-modern-writers-of.html

And yes, Robert's in there.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reverend Jim

Club Member
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in Croydon my interest was vaguely piqued by that book title. I notice, however, that it's self published and the only reviews on Amazon, all of them five stars, are by people who've never reviewed anything else. I'm not saying it's not going to be splendid but...

Oh, and I'll second Only Forward. Top book that one.
nursewhen

Display Name: Helen
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor when is currently reading this one, it's rather steam punk.

God Emperor of Didcot (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 2) by Toby Frost

Sci fi, space stuff, lot's of nods to Dune and I have a feeling that the Tetley tea men make an appearance.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Emperor-Didcot-Chronicles-Isambard-Smith/dp/1905802242

Tea...a beverage brewed from the fermented dried leaves of the shrub Camellia sinensis and imbibed by all the great civilisations in the galaxy's history; a source of refreshment, stimulation and, above all else, of moral fibre - without which the British Space Empire must surely crumble to leave Earth at the mercy of its enemies. Sixty per cent of the Empire's tea is grown on one world - Urn, principal planet of the Didcot system. If Earth is to keep fighting, the tea must flow. When a crazed cult leader overthrows the government of Urn, Isambard Smith and his vaguely competent crew find themselves saddled with new allies: a legion of tea-obsessed nomads, an overly-civilised alien horde and a commando unit so elite that it only has five members. Only together can they defeat the self-proclaimed God Emperor of Didcot and confront the true power behind the coup: the sinister legions of the Ghast Empire and Smith's old enemy, Commander 462.

Rintrah

Display Name: Rintrah
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Leyner! Faves are "Et Tu Babe", "The Tether Balls of Bouganville" and "Tooth Imprints on a Corndog".

Or Harmony Korine's "A Crackup at the Race Riots".

Really.

nothing witty here

http://www.myspace.com/lucasdarklord
http://www.myspace.com/sordid_zine
http://www.myspace.com/realfca
barking owl

Display Name: Kirsty
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nursewhen wrote:
a legion of tea-obsessed nomads

Razz My Brethern! Where do I sign up???

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nursewhen wrote:
God Emperor of Didcot (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 2) by Toby Frost

Just been looking at the first of the series and it looks like my kinda thing. No 2nd hand copies on ebay that I can find, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy it!

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
A Random Me

Club Member
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have looked at the set of books now, though alas Play is temporarily out of stock.

It appears the next one is going to be called "Wrath Of The Lemming-Men" which dersves a few points for the novelty factor alone.

"If Plan A will result in a smoking crater where the city used to be, they'd probably like if you came up with a Plan B."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
darylgould

Display Name: daryl gould
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Would YOU recommend this book??? Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Just casting the net for a new author or two, now that the Crimbo books are finished... saw a good review of this, am intrigued by the title, but wondered if anyone here had read it?:

"The Day Jesus Rode Into Croydon" by Daryl Gould

Any other suggestions (for books) completely welcome...
Very Happy

I've read it but then thats no real surprise as I wrote it (stumbled across your question on a web search for myself in passing).
In answer to the Reverend's question the five stars on amazon are not my work although I'm not going to complain. I'm sure the one stars are close behind by readers of Jordans autobiography and the like. I was actually surprised to see my book tagged as Robert Rankin, I think because it has that small town feel (Croydon/Brentford) but the styles are somewhat different (probably not the best thing to write on a rankin website in a shameless act of self promotion). It is indeed self published but only because I was interested to see the critical response before approaching publishers and not because I frequently hear the thumping sound of returned manuscript hitting doormat.
If any of you guys do want to take the plunge then I'd be very interested in what you thought. If not then I'll have to rely on my mum to buy another hundred copies.
darylgould

Display Name: daryl gould
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Jim wrote:
Living in Croydon my interest was vaguely piqued by that book title. I notice, however, that it's self published and the only reviews on Amazon, all of them five stars, are by people who've never reviewed anything else. I'm not saying it's not going to be splendid but...

Oh, and I'll second Only Forward. Top book that one.

By the way Rev, may I commend you on your use of the word piqued, a magnificant word and surely underused in todays world. Is there any connection with its underuse and the collapse of society as we know it, I think so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: