Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
who's Who
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer Gaz.

How about this one:

If the Time Lords are all dead now except the Doctor, how come he's alone? Can't he go back & visit them in the past? If they've been erased from history all together what about all the things the whole race did through all time & space...?

Gaz

Site Admin
Display Name: Gaz
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deep Black wrote:
If the Time Lords are all dead now except the Doctor, how come he's alone? Can't he go back & visit them in the past? If they've been erased from history all together what about all the things the whole race did through all time & space...?

Oh now that would down to the Time War, a cunning plot device which let's the writers do the whole "alone" thing, without actually explaining it properly - it's full of holes if you start analysing it too much (or even at all...). Like the Doctor can still go back in time but somehow the Time Lords have been erased from time so he can't go back to when they were around before the Time War. And if the Daleks managed to escape by hiding "outside time", surely the Time Lords can do the same? Sometimes you just have to say "yeah, OK, whatever" and accept that it's just pulp Sci-Fi at the end of the day..... Wink

Can't get worse, might get better...
Has always been my way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Matt

Display Name: Matt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaz wrote:
Sometimes you just have to say "yeah, OK, whatever" and accept that it's just pulp Sci-Fi at the end of the day..... Wink

er... Fly-On-The-Wall Documentary, surely?

Azathoth

Club Member
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Time Wars are "Time Locked" and it takes more than a sonic screwdriver to get past ones of those apparently, but Dalek Khan did break one and got totally fucked up.
Toxicarl

Display Name: Toxicarl
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find when watching Dr.Who it helps to check my brain at the door! Wink
Deep Black

Club Member
Display Name: Andi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's all fair enough then Confused
VictoriaJay

Display Name: Vix Johnston
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm... i thought that the Master was going after the Doctor in the film because he'd run out of new lives and Dr still had some... I vaguly remember 15 being the number... but i was just a kid at the time...

Thinking of kids, Dr11 looks rather young to be able to pull it off... if he manages to meet up with Rose again he's younger than she is.... not really sure if the 3-4 other roles he's had have prepared him for the depths of being a 700-year-old time lord... Dt hadn't done much TV, but his theatre career was/is rather impressive... I could see CE turning into DT without too much trouble, but will have to retain judgement on the new one

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VictoriaJay wrote:
Umm... i thought that the Master was going after the Doctor in the film because he'd run out of new lives and Dr still had some... I vaguly remember 15 being the number... but i was just a kid at the time...

In the film, the Master had been executed by the Daleks and the Doctor was transporting his "essence" back to Gallifrey for permanent imprisonment - something to do with the execution only destroying his body but his Time Lord essence couldn't be destroyed. His essence escapes and temporarily possesses a human host, but he needs the Doctor so he can steal his regenerative power and get a Time Lord body back..... but I don't recall 15 being mentioned, it's always been either 12 regenerations (meaning 13 lives) or 12 lives (meaning 11 regenerations) as far as I'm aware.

When the Master came back in the new series, it was said that he'd been granted a new full set of regenerations by the Time Lords in order to help fight the Daleks in the Time War, so there's no reason to suppose they wouldn't give the Doctor a top-up too - in fact surely it would make sense to grant all Time Lords unlimited regenerations for the Time War, making them physically immortal.

VictoriaJay wrote:
Thinking of kids, Dr11 looks rather young to be able to pull it off... if he manages to meet up with Rose again he's younger than she is.... not really sure if the 3-4 other roles he's had have prepared him for the depths of being a 700-year-old time lord... Dt hadn't done much TV, but his theatre career was/is rather impressive... I could see CE turning into DT without too much trouble, but will have to retain judgement on the new one

Not sure he's "too young" as such, but they absolutely need to do something with his hair, otherwise he's just going to look like DT's little brother who's nicked his hair gel. Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Berry

Display Name: Blonde Ross
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here NOT watch Dr Who? I haven't seen much more than maybe a handful of episodes since it got brought back. It is fun to watch admittedly, I just haven't been arsed at all.
Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. I haven't watched it since Colin Baker stuck the knife in and Sylvester McCoy twisted it. I still enjoy repeats of anything prior to Peter Davidson for it's nostalgia value, but everything subsequent to that just seems like a badly acted children's program and piss-poor sci-fi to me. Confused
I've never recovered from the Ace trauma I reckon. It seems McCoy et al permanently removed my rose-tinted spectacles when it comes to the good Doctor. Sad

Display Name: Ian
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sylvester McCoy's first season was embarrassingly awful, I thought, to the extent that I stopped watching the show for a while after following it since the early 1970s. He did get better in the role, though, when he was allowed to create a bit more depth and stopped clowning around so much.
Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid by then it was already too late for me.

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both CB and McCoy were badly let down by terrible scripts, bad stories, and lack of funding by a BBC management that wanted to kill the program off, and rather than quietly dropping it they wanted it to look terrible so they had an excuse.

CB could have been great given a chance - if they'd given him some decent stories to allow him to explore the dark & unhinged character that he was developing, and given him something sensible to wear rather than that ridiculous clown-suit which really didn't match his character. Yes it was terribly overacted by CB, but that could have worked with some decent material.

Likewise McCoy suffered from crap stories that really didn't fit with his character, which should have been more like Hartnell's doc, a powerful & intelligent Time Lord in the body of a seemingly weak old man. In the later McCoy stuff they started to get it right, with more intelligent plots rather than just running around and shouting, but it was too late by that point coz people had stopped watching.

I'd have loved to see McGann do a full series, I liked his character. They should sit the new guy down and make him watch McGann a few hundred times, then say "do it like that"....!

moose previous

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it the McCoy years where the bloke made out of licorice allsorts appeared? Confused
And another thing. Let's lightly gloss over the possibility of the new assistant being Lilly Allen, eh? Crying or Very sad

Gaz

Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moose previous wrote:
Was it the McCoy years where the bloke made out of licorice allsorts appeared? Confused

The Candyman. Yeah. Broke my heart that did. Just awful/

moose previous wrote:
And another thing. Let's lightly gloss over the possibility of the new assistant being Lilly Allen, eh? Crying or Very sad

Well, think back to what they said about Billie Piper before actually seeing her. Seems like a terrible idea I agree, but you never know. I try not to pass too much judgement on something until I've seen it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SpoutMore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: