Sproutlore Symbol

The Sproutlore Forum is now closed, and no longer accepting new messages. Please try our new forum at The Order of the Golden Sprout.
Similar authors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Similar authors Reply with quote

I just read the section of the FAQ on similar authors and I want to recommend an addition. Christopher Moore writes very funny books, often having to do with Judeo-Christian mythology that I think would go over well with Rankin readers. They are very popular with the library employees here, though I don't know if the patrons ever get a chance at them. Here is more on Christopher Moore at Amazon if you want to check him out.
Timmeh!

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I've ordered "Practical Demonkeeping" (primarily because one of the reviews mentioned Cthulhu).
Anyone else read one?
Can you confirm that it's the sort of thing that's likely to appeal to Rankinphiles?

Site Admin
Display Name: Tim McGregor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeell, I just finish Practical Demonkeeping and I have to say (sorry Janet) I wasn't really impressed. I laughed only once, and that was at a bit that the author almost certainly didn't intend to be funny. To be honest I couldn't even tell whether the whole book was meant to be funny or not? It was a bit like someone trying to be Tom Holt, whom I also don't rate very highly.
I thought the characters were well drawn, and their backstories/motivations, were fairly interesting, but ultimately didn't much care about the fate of anyone much.
tbh, I didn't know what kind of book it was trying to be: Humour? Well I didn't laugh; Thriller? I wasn't thrilled; Horror? it wasn't horrible. Due to the simplicity of the plot, structure and brevity I might call it a "children's adventure" except for the sex and the wifebeating Confused

Did I choose a bad book to start with? After all, there have been Rankin novels that have similarly failed impress me, so it's possible that this one's a dud.

Oh, and the British do not boil Pizza. Grin

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timmeh! wrote:
Right, I've ordered "Practical Demonkeeping" (primarily because one of the reviews mentioned Cthulhu).
Anyone else read one?
Can you confirm that it's the sort of thing that's likely to appeal to Rankinphiles?
Tim read that a couple of years ago did not think that much of it have'nt read anything by him since.

It was orinally billed as horror with a humerous twist
Janet

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read that one, only Fluke and Dirty Job. I liked Fluke quite a bit, but was less impressed with Dirty Job. In my defense I hadn't read the second when I recommended him. My coworkers swear by him, though. I think what made me think he was a good fit was that he wrote (supposedly) humourous books with fantastical elements in a modern setting. You must admit, there aren't a lot of people who do that.
Dr.Bob

Club Member
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<It was orinally billed as horror with a humerous twist>

Oh!! shit I was doing a reply at work (open plan office)rather quickly cause it's against the rules an all that, while working.and I did dooid a spelling mistook wit dat funny wurd, bahookie Embarassed
Opalfruit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed Robert Asprin's Myth series and his Phule series too- I think there's a sense of humour in his work some folk who read Rankin will get - it's American but full of puns - the planet Avis and characters smirking and joking about car rentals... I was working fro Avis at the time - probably why it's stuck in my head.

Not as Keen on Tom Holt since he started churning them out - I like his historical fiction - The Walled Orchard is brilliant.
ttastev

Display Name: terry
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only other author in the "fantasy" genre that i really can get into is Terry Pratchett, just makes me smile loads. Very Happy Very Happy
Skaidon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Christopher Moore, I would recommend Bloodsucking Fiends or Lamb as really good places to start with Christopher Moore. Practical Demonkeeping is his first and weakest work, don't judge him solely on that.

Another author who I enjoy who writes humorous fiction is A. Lee Martinez, Gil's All Fright Diner would be a good place to start, but all his novels are different in tone and content but, all are entertaining.

More humorous authors:

Chris Genoa - Foop!
Eric Idle - The Road To Mars
Walter Moers
Opalfruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter Moers! Absolutely! I'd recommend Captain Bluebear to anyone. His other novels are fantastic too.

A Wild Ride Through the Night is based on drawings by Gustave Dor, very different from his Zamonia novels. Rumo was good too, but the City of Dreaming Books just blew me away again... fantastic fun. It might be worth me learning German just so I can read some more of his work.... if I had the time... ruddy work gets in the way of all the important reading I want to do.
kidzlibrarian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Christopher Moore Reply with quote

I love Coyote Blue. You Suck and A Dirty Job were also good. You Suck is the sequel to Blood Sucking Fiends. I would catagorize his books as Fantasy and Humor or Fantastic Humor not to be confused with FANTASTIC!!! Humor and though I DID really enjoy them and will read every book the man writes, even though some of them don't thrill me as much as the others. Christopher Moore's website is lots of fun (much toot, to quote Rizla). I actually found Robert Rankin because I was looking for authors like Christopher Moore and Terry Pratchett. I have read almost every Pratchett book. By the way, if you have or know kids (or if you are still one), his series for children are great, too. I especially liked the Bromeliad Trilogy.
Helen from NM in ME right now

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sproutlore Forum Index -> SproutMaster All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: